22 days ago - req11558
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Chemistry & materials science
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. Material Scientist is responsible for development, selection, test and qualify materials which are compatible with EUV Technology. The complexity of EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on Material Scientist who will be engaged in all phases of development, failure analysis and integration, all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with cross-functional groups to qualify materials, perform life time testing, and improve performance of EUV source components. Validates concepts through experiments.
- Independently investigates scientific and technical problems and challenges; evaluates and recommends solutions.
- Build and operate vacuum & thermal test setup for different project and modules.
- Qualifies materials, components, and processes for different parts of the EUV source
- Applies advanced experimental and analytical skills to define requirements and devise solutions to technical performance matters.
- Obtains and analyzes data using materials characterization techniques (such as mechanical testing, including tensile, compressive, torsional, creep, fatigue, toughness and hardness testing; SEM/EDS; TEM; etc)
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explain technical issues and ideas to peers and management.
- Requires minimum Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, or related discipline with a minimum of 3.0 GPA.GPAs over 3.5 highly preferred.
- Requires experience with vacuum & thermal systems as well as designing, building, & troubleshooting test setups.
- Requires a solid conceptual understanding and hands-on experience with a wide variety of modern materials characterization techniques (such as FTIR, UV-Vis, mechanical testing, tribology, SEM,EDS, TEM etc.).
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems and solutions through written and/or graphical formats.
- Experience with lifetime testing of materials is a plus.
- Experience with NX, Solidworks, ProE (3D CAD) system is plus.
- Experience with data analysis software such as Excel, JMP, Minitab, Matlab etc. is desired
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with tin, liquid metal corrosion, and metal thin film deposition and etch is a plus
- Proficient in MS Office Applications specifically Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Can work effectively under deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus