17 days ago - req11548
Optical Engineering Intern (Summer 2020)
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these challenges requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Internship Goals and Objectives – Optical Engineering Intern:
- Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.
- Specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
- The 2020 project will be centered around optics, opto-mechanics or lasers for metrology applications either in the lab or design-based. Previous projects have included polarization component characterization, optical path modelling and design of laser diode illumination system.
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
- Current active students in Optical engineering related disciplines with a passion for real-world applications in optics and/or opto-mechanics have the opportunity to contribute to ASML’s growing portfolio of laser or imaging-based applications.
- Relevant experience with optical design software such as Zemax or CodeV or 3D CAD software such as NX or Solidworks will help define the boundaries of the project.
- Strong English Communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficiency in MS Office apps, specifically, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Possess strong ownershipcharacteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oralcommunicative skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player”with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem solvingskills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” attimes and be open to the ideas of others
- Relocation assistance and/or housing is not provided for this internship.
We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business.