21 days ago - req11551
System Performance Engineer
Other corporate functions
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Other corporate functions
No experience (Student)
Other technical job categories
IntroductionASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Job MissionThe EUV Source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative, and challenging environment to deliver new-to-industry products supporting the commercialization of EUV technology by ASML.The Performance Integration Team is an inter-disciplinary group responsible for securing performance of EUV light source products at system level. The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the System Performance Engineer, who will be engaged in operation of the source, defining and providing solutions to systematically drive the performance of existing and future EUV source products.
Typical responsibilities for the System Performance Engineer role include defining and validating requirements, identifying areas of technical improvement required to meet the development roadmap, experimenting and performing troubleshooting of the system level performance issues, and supporting the teams at customer sites to ensure the highest performance and availability of EUV sources for the customers.
The System Performance Engineer role requires a willingness to develop a mastery of complex experimentation of significant technical depth. To be successful, the candidate must combine strong numerical analysis skills, using Matlab and Python to process large sets of data, with hands-on lab skills such as operating optical and electrical metrology instruments. In addition, to be effective in the role candidates must possess interpersonal skills to cross functional boundaries and to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization.
- Serve as an expert in System Level performance related to laser light generation and amplification, laser-plasma interaction, debris mitigation, and controls. Be willing to apply theoretical models, concepts, methods, and novel experimental techniques to quantitatively interpret performance of EUV source systems across a wide range of issues and multiple technical disciplines.
- Directly evaluate complex hardware and software prototype designs using sophisticated experimental protocols, to validate, maximize, document and communicate the performance of EUV source products.
- Work closely with and lead cross-functional groups (systems engineering, development engineering, scientists, global customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, senior management, marketing, external customers) to set clear technical direction.
- Work with global customer support organization in response to escalations from customer sites, by providing technical support; including remote and on-site troubleshooting and data analysis, developing action plans, and performing system recovery actions.
- Prepare and/or review system and sub-system functional test plans and create traceability from system functional requirements.
- Utilize test data to assess performance capabilities and assist in the documentation of procedures and the validation of system, operations and service.
- Use company technical documentation, provide feedback for improvement, and assist in creating technical documents.
- Provide feedback to the design engineers on performance, serviceability, and reliability improvements.
- Produce clear, concise documentation in defined company formats.
- Use sophisticated computer programs and diagnostic equipment to test and characterize source performance.
- Collect and analyze data, summarize results, and prepare presentation of results for review.
- Travel as required for the purposes of performing troubleshooting and system performance recovery.
- Provide technical training to engineers in the factory and at customer sites.
- Complete service, expense reports, and other administrative responsibilities in accordance with ASML’s procedures and with supervisor’s approval.
- Responsible for safe operation in factory and customer sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Applied Physics, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or other Physical Science.A PhD in above disciplines is preferred.
- Knowledge and experiences in optics, laser-induced plasma, optical metrology, and/or controls of such devices preferred.
- Experiences in semiconductor equipment development a plus.
- Understanding of the concept of large complex system integration and practices
- Understanding of debris mitigation techniques in a vacuum environment
- Understanding of the concepts of optics and lasers, plasma generation, and control systems
- Excellent analytical skills and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent inter-personal and customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in use of data analysis tools such as Matlab and/or Python
- Ability to setup and use the test and analytical equipment commonly used for the optics, laser and plasma research
- Ability to translate the design and test requirements into comprehensive test plan documents and procedures
- Ability to reduce large amounts of data, create a concise summary, and effectively report results through written and/or graphical formats
- Ability to translate the knowledge and hand-on experiences into technical instructions and procedures
- Ability to define and execute tasks based on project descriptions with minimum or no supervision
Effective communication, analytical, perseverance, problem solving, and team oriented
Context of the position
System Level subject matter expert supporting laser light generation and amplification, laser-plasma interaction, debris mitigation, and controls.