30+ days ago - req11883
Intern 2020 Manufacturing Engineering @ ASML/Cymer
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Manufacturing, Industrial Engineering
No experience (Student)
Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Other technical job categories
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, AZ, San Diego, CA, San Jose, CA and Wilton, CT.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
In the CLS division in San Diego, CA we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
Solving these challenges requires expertise in system engineering, optics, physics, controls, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, test engineering, embedded software and firmware, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
Internship Goals and Objectives
- The 2020 project for the selected Intern willdevelop and/or improve Cymer’s manufacturing processes to improve qualityand efficiency
- Work in a team environmentalongside local experienced engineers.
- Specific tasks will be tailored tomatch the education / experience level of the intern as well as theinterns learning objectives for the summer.
- The goal of the internship is foryou to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands onexperience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be requiredto document and present their findings as well as making an end of summerpresentation to the group about what they achieved during theirinternship.
- Must be currentlypursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, IndustrialEngineering
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Must have junior or senior standing.
- Some key skills will be in process control (ISO9001, Lean 6Sigma), understanding of mechanical design and controls, and data analytics (statistics, process capability, 6 Sigma, pareto…)
- Possess strong ownershipcharacteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong English written andoral communicative skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player”with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem-solving skillsand the ability to take initiative
- Eagerness to be hands-on, work well in a team and as an individual, take the initiative, and have a constant drive to make things better
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oral communicative skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of other
- Be detailed oriented
- Be open to the ideas of others
- Multiple positions available for Summer 2020
- Relocation assistance and/or housing is not provided for these internships.
We offer competitive Pay.We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE