30+ days ago - req11841
Mechanical Engineering Group Leader
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
The ASML San Diego EUV D&E group is responsible for the development and engineering of complex vacuum, high pressure, variable temperature, inert gas flow systems and tooling to create new-to-industry EUV light sources. The complexity of the EUV source places exacting requirements on Mechanical Design of vacuum vessels, inert gas flow in vacuum, material compatibility with refractory metals and glass, cleanliness & particle containment, and high temperature and pressure piping and sealing, combining rapid development timelines with precision engineering and design with high reliability standards. Each sub-system requires unique and creative solutions drawing from precision mechanical design thorough BoM release.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The Sr. Manager of Mechanical Engineering leads teams of cross-sector members to deliver on prototype and production modules and contributes at a hands-on level in delivering a variety of engineering tasks including designing, developing, testing, analyzing, troubleshooting and integrating subassemblies and modules for both the product and the associated tooling required in manufacturing and field service. Each day will be full of exciting challenges to tackle including but not limited to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct andguide the activities of a mechanical systems and equipment/tooling designfunction for module or subsystem design from concept through manufacturingtransfer and high-volume ramp.
- Assist indeveloping and enforce department engineering practices and design rules,consistent with corporate objectives.
- Creates andevaluates designs to meet requirements of specified applications.
- Developsresolutions to critical issues and broad design matters.
- Assumesengineering responsibility for component and subassembly test development,data acquisition, analysis, and reporting.
- Build andmaintain a high skill level in mechanical engineering of ASMLproducts.
- Generatesmodule or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Validatesconcepts through prototype builds in laboratory setting.
- Performs/Approvesdetailed design and component layout for new or improved subsystems.
- Performs/Approvestolerance analysis at system and subsystem level.
- Manages teamsranging in size from 5-10 in delivering to a gated project plan including keydeliverables, timeline, budget, and proactive management of expectations.
- Guidesday-day activities of team members and be able to divide complex tasksinto individual activities.
- Generates/Approvesprototype and pilot detailed design, including creation/review of relevanttechnical documentation including Engineering Changes (EC’s), drawings andBills-Of-Materials (BoM), and procedures.
- Contributessignificantly to DFMEA and PFMEAs.
- Supportsdevelopment activities using the Product Development Process includingconcept reviews, design reviews, proto builds, pilot builds, verificationtesting, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Responsiblefor the research and selection of new suppliers with potential forturn-key provision of key subsystems.Responsible for providing technical expertise in the coretechnology area of the potential suppliers to reveal best design path andperformance and cost from future subsystem purchases.
- Interacts closely with development engineers,scientists, suppliers, customer service, manufacturing, safety, and QA toresolve quality issues.
- Leads team of design engineers,architects, analysts, and technicians guiding them on day-day taskstowards project delivery.
- Allocateresources on a quarterly basis and responds to resource requirements onshort notice.
- Works with Project Leads, GroupLeads, and Manager to ensure timely delivery of project deliverables.
- Supportdeveloping departmental capabilities through the definition and executionof training plans.
- Identify andprocure improved design and analysis tools and services (FEA, CFD, etc).
- Act as arepresentative in cross-functional meetings to maintain coordinationbetween the Mechanical Engineering and other functional organizations(Manufacturing, Test, and Procurement) in handoff of product fromengineering to production.
- Interpret,implement and monitor modifications to department methods, processes, andpolicies that affect multiple work groups.
- Requires a a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience.
- Experience in designing, fabrication, testing and releaseof mechanical, electro-mechanical modules, and related system interfacesfor capital equipment tools.
- Previous experiencewith Semiconductor industry strongly preferred
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5) required.
- Experience in managing project schedules and deliverables required.
- Experience with Product Development tasks required: bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material for prototyping, change management.
- Experience with a product process forhigh-volume-manufacturing desired.Excellent English written and verbal communicationskills.
- Experience with creativity in solving complex design problems.
- Experience/Exposure to solid modeling, FEA, CFD & drawing creation.
- Experience/Exposure to product lifecycle management tools, Siemens TCE required. Ability to translate, statistically analyze data,and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advancedunderstanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, andelectronic e-mail systems.
- Previous experience with vacuum, flow, thermal systems strongly desired.
- Travelwithin and outside the US will be required (approximately 20-25%)
- Desire to be part of something amazing as we pioneer technology forward!
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job,the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands tokeyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach,and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required tomove around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/ormove up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on businessneeds.
- Specific vision abilities required bythis job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depthperception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noiselevel.The employee may occasionally work undermanufacturing or laboratory environments, where the noise level is usuallyhigh.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact withothers encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.