26 days ago - req12088
Design Engineering (Plasma Control and Automation) @ ASML/Cymer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
The EUV Source Team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML.The Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the control loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Control Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control systemdevelopment and integration involving high speed electronics, real-time embedded software, precision metrology and sophisticated control algorithms, all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serveas a technical expert for one or more control subsystems, capable ofindependent decision making for critical technical issues.
- Leadsand mentors junior controls engineers, leads the development andintegration of innovative control system solutions to enable stable andefficient production of EUV.
- Appliesbroad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation,software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements toenable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leadsthe design and building of tools that allow debugging, analysis, andperformance evaluation of control system performance.Leads the rootcause analysis for control system failures in products for integration andfielded units during escalations.
- Leadsand performs integration activates including trouble shooting the controlsystem, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functionsas designed in the EUV light source.
- Documentswork results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures,and training materials.
Excellentwritten and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explaintechnical issues and ideas to peers and management.
- Performsduties as assigned
- Performsthe design, development, and implementation of complex algorithmsinvolving controller design, system identification, signal processing andstochastic signal analysis for lasers & other equipment used in thesemiconductor industry.
- Generatessoftware requirements specifications for control algorithm designs.
- Mentorslower level algorithm engineers through technical guidance and assistance.
- Investigatesthe feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control designprinciples and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plansand executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design andvalidation.
- Designsand builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluationof algorithms.Determines the root cause for algorithm failure inproducts in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-levelescalations.
- Requires a Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Physics or Mechanical, Aerospace, Control, Electrical or Chemical Engineering
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab.
- Good knowledge of Power Spectral Density (PSD) analysis.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience designing practical feedback control systems of significant complexity
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory.
- Some experience with System Identification.
- Experience not necessary but strongly preferred.
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, estimation, system identification and non-linear systems graduate or postgraduate courses will be highly regarded.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Project Engineering experience including leading small technical teams.
- Ability to design and analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Working knowledge of C/C++ desirable.
- Understanding of embedded software systems desirable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT -The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Whileperforming the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required tosit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel;stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
Theemployee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Theemployee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Mayrequire travel dependent on business needs.
- Specificvision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision,peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Canwork under deadlines.
- Theenvironment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Mustbe able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Canobserve and respond to people and situations and interact with othersencountered in the course of work.
- Canlearn and apply new information or skills.
- Requiresworking with a firing laser (which is noisy) occasionally.
- Requiresworking in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requiresworking withlasers in noisyenvironments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards(requiring eye and skin protection).