30+ days ago - req14517
Corporate Communications (Expertise) manager China
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
Description of the position:
• You are responsible for Corporate (External) Communications and Media Relations in mainland China (includes Hong Kong).
• You help protect and build the reputation of ASML in China as well as worldwide, by pro-actively identifying risks and opportunities and by handling day-to-day issues and events, whilst working closely with all corporate and business functions (including headquarters in Veldhoven).
• You provide strategic plans and tactical interventions to influence key external stakeholders (which include media, government and communities) about a wide variety of strategically important topics that may have global impact.
• Your functional execution capabilities include the independent shaping of effective messages and other communication materials in proficient English and Chinese. You can act as a spokesperson, representing the business and its employees to external audiences.
• You are a quick and strategic thinker. You are agile and goal-oriented in a dynamic organization.
• You are team player and easy to talk with. You are capable of viewing and challenging the organization as a whole in order to achieve the best outcome for the business and drive the change.
• You are based in Shanghai and report directly to the Vice President of Communications at ASML Headquarters in the Netherlands.
• You are a close and trusted adviser to the country manager of China.
• You sit on (and vice chair) the Asia crisis management team.
• You are a member of a team of international team of communication professionals and you coordinate and align your activities frequently.
• An essential part of the role is to work closely with local and global colleagues supporting government relations.
• You will be supported by (and you will manage the China interests) a pan-Asian PR agency with an integral focus on high risk issues.
China has an ambitious and well-defined goal to grow its domestic semiconductor industry, and ASML is a key contributor to enable this emerging industry with already more than 1,000 employees in mainland China. The chip industry is a globally integrated value chain and collaboration with partners throughout various regions in the world has driven innovation in the chip industry, which benefits everyone. In the interest of communities around the world who depend on continuing progress of chip technology in order to tackle society’s toughest challenges, ASML promotes free trade and open innovation where all partners can be sure that the fruits of their labor and intellectual property are well protected. This approach has created tremendous value over many decades during which we have learned to both share as well as protect key knowledge between trusted partners. In your role, it is essential that these messages of prosperity through innovation for all our stakeholders is heard and understood, in order to secure our license to operate (locally and internationally) and boost our ability to attract and retain top talent on the Chinese labor market.
Scope of the position:
Organizational context: multiple stakeholders at all levels, all the way to Executive Committee and Board of Management at headquarters. Key decisions/issues that need to be taken: high-impact tactical and strategic decisions with high visibility in (global) media.
Education: Master degree. Experience: At least 15 years of bi-lingual (Mandarin/English) experience in corporate communications including multinational organisations and/or journalism/media You have the following leadership and functional skills
Strategy & Business understanding, (internal) customer understanding
Can explain corporate strategy and business impact, including business financials. Knows industry trends. Actively discusses and debates important events and trends and impact on communications, business and brand. Independently translates to own work. Critically and logically evaluates costs, risks, benefits and alternatives before making decisions. Helps others deal effectively with key external factors (e.g., regulatory, legal) that impact growth. Influences senior leadership on issues with in-depth understanding of the business. Anticipates important global trends that may impact business plans or communications.
Drills down to essence. Comms coaching and advising leaders. Demonstrates empathy and diplomacy in difficult situations. Finds mutually agreeable ways to resolve issues. Valued comms coach and advisor for leaders. Expert at adapting communication style to preference of audience. Comms and non-comms coaching and influencing of senior management. Adapts interpersonal style to address global cultural differences.
Writing & Presentation skills; internal news, scripts, scenarios, etc.; presentation support, stage work
Strong storytelling and editing skills in Chinese and in English. Comfort with different writing styles. Artfully conveys subtle, technical, or complex messages in writing. Sub-edits and handles complex and sensitive subjects. Highly effective writing style, impact messaging. Presents well on stage (100+ people). Perfect in handling complex and sensitive subjects. Master at developing messages and content that stimulate action.
Critical thinking & analytical skills, deal with complexity, information processing
Learns from past experience, articulates visions of possibilities and likelihoods. Assesses multiple variabilities and interdependencies. Identifies key problem drivers. Anticipates opportunities and challenges, coaches others and proactively advises management
Stakeholder management at right level, xsectoral collaboration, relationship building
Manages multiple stakeholders. Identifies cross-sectoral opportunities & makes it happen. Can independently find a way out of ambiguous situations
Assertiveness, tenacity, goal orientation, focus on end-result (identify opportunities and agility to see alternative strategies to accomplish goals)
Assertive and pushes others to achieve results and leads them to persist despite setbacks or obstacles. Drives a track record of success for the team, and provides the necessary agile approach and environment to meet objectives. Gets results that have a clear, positive, and direct impact on business performance