22 days ago - req15560
Jr. Patent Attorney
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
Responsible for performing a wide range of patent law functions arising within the Company. This position will be based in Wilton, CT, and will report to the local senior patent counsel. Responsibilities will include overseeing the preparation and prosecution of patent applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and internationally. Additionally this position will provide intellectual property (IP) law guidance, including freedom to operate advice, to company scientists, engineers, and management.
This position will be part of ASML’s Corporate Intellectual Property department which employs an international team located in the Netherlands and the United States and provides IP services to scientists, engineers and managers mainly involved with the Company’s lithography systems using extreme UV (EUV) and deep UV (DUV) light.
* Any state bar exam credential accepted.
- Support execution of Company IP strategies including patent filing and product clearance. Make recommendations to protect innovations developed in research, engineering, and invention harvests.Manage review of invention disclosures.
- Assess patent and other IPpositioning of competitors (i.e., freedom to operate).
- Supervise and oversee outsidecounsel to properly prepare and prosecute patent applications in assignedarea(s) of responsibility.
- Provide guidance and counselregarding avoidance of infringement to Company executives as requested ordeemed appropriate.
- Supervise and oversee outsidecounsel to properly draft petitions, appeals, and/or other exceptional ornon-routine papers as necessary to gain allowance/issuance.
- Evaluate third-party patentinfringement claims against Company subject matter areas of interestincluding research, products, or technologies.
- Occasionally assist with advisingor negotiating in-bound or out-bound patent licenses or other IP relatedcontract matters as directed by ASML Corporate Intellectual Property orCompany management.
- Conduct or direct administrativestaff in the conduct of legal research directed to resolving legal orprocedural issues encountered in the advancement of, or challenges to,Company intellectual property assets.
- Interact with and provide guidanceto outside counsel consistent with ASML and Company objectives andoperating guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
2+ years of relevant patentexperience, including patent preparation and prosecution, portfoliomanagement, and/or freedom to operate. Must be licensed to practice beforethe U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) preferred,from an accredited law school with excellent academic performance. Any state bar exam credentialaccepted.
- Preferred to be licensed topractice law in at least one U.S. state or the District of Columbia.
- Bachelor’s Degree in theengineering or physical sciences disciplines such as electrical,mechanical, systems and controls science, physics, materials, or optics. Experience in optics, robotics, or control systems is aplus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in managing outsidecounsel.
- Proficient ability to plan anddirect administrative staff and others in activities supporting theCompany’s legal work and objectives.
- Familiarity with petitions andappeals is also desired.
- Ability to translate andstatistically analyze data, and effectively report problems throughwritten and/or graphic formats.
- Excellent judgment and criticalthinking skills.
- Ability to work well with othersand to quickly assimilate complex technical and physical principles.
- Ability to render compellingwritten descriptions and arguments along with graphic explanatory devices.
- Excellent client/customer serviceethics and skills, with an advanced understanding of clientrelationship-building.
- Ability to draft and file patentapplications in a cost efficient manner.
- Broad technical knowledge,familiarity with relevant technologies.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel,PowerPoint, Outlook, at least one IP database, andon-line research tools.
- Fully functioning in the job withonly general direction needed.
- Strong professional drive.
- Strong competency with the tools,systems, and procedures required to accomplish the job.
- Provide regular updates to manager,and work independently and collaboratively.
- Work on moderately complexprojects/problems/tasks and demonstrate good judgment in selecting methodsand techniques for obtaining solutions.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability