You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - req16800
Lead designer for flow and thermal systems
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Physics
Design and lead the development of flow and thermal systems in lithography machines while guiding a team of designers as a lead engineer at ASML.
Machine Conditioning (MC) is part of the Development & Engineering division within ASML. This department focuses on functional modules and parts of ASML's lithography machines. You work with temperature control and gas conditioning, which is essential in reducing the environmental footprint of our machines – an essential part of our sustainability goals.
Role and responsibilities
As lead designer, you interpret, challenge and improve the specifications within flow and thermal systems – and you'll work alongside architects and analysts to help create these new designs. You're responsible for designing the fluid infrastructure (which includes gas, liquid, and vacuum systems) for ASML lithography machines.
You translate the architecture into a 3D design that meets all stakeholders’ requirements. In the early design phase, you'll work with mechanical and electrical engineers as well as with machine module owners. You'll also present your design concepts to stakeholders and align with them on modifications.
For this role, it’s important to act as both a team member and coach: you direct other ASML designers in making high-quality designs while sticking to the project timeline. You are the one, that guarantees design quality based on your knowledge andexperience.
As a lead engineer, you'll also:
- Document designs with CAD models, drawings and detailed design information
- Manage external design teams and take ownership of their designs
- Perform calculations to predict flow, pressure, gas purity, strength and other system functionality
- Specify and select appropriate parts and assemblies from suppliers
- Communicate with internal and external customers and suppliers
- Refine and complete high-level functional diagrams into detail ducting diagrams (DDD) and piping & instrumentation diagrams (P&ID)
- Update stakeholders on progress or issues and proposed solutions.
Education and experience
To join us as a lead engineer for flow and thermal systems, you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree or master’s degree in mechanical and industrial engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- Solid design experience in a complex technical environment
- Experience with 3D CAD systems, preferably Siemens NX
- At least 5 years of lead engineer experience
- Experience working in large groups
- Experience steering internal and external design teams on quality, technical skills and timing
- Working experience in the Netherlands (preferable)
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Ability to lead a team and coach junior designers
- Ability to take ownership and steer external design teams
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic environment
- A strong, pragmatic attitude with an analytical mindset combined with good reporting capabilities
- Good communications skills
- Fluency in English.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, at seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology before beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
This is a pipeline vacancy, meaning multiple hiring managers have access to screen CV's in this vacancy. Your application will be processed in this requisition up until the offer process.