30+ days ago - req17691
Director, Electrical Engineering
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
This individual will be responsible for managing a diverse team of Electronics and Optics consisting of 40-50 technical members (engineers and scientists) through several managers, with resources drawn from interdisciplinary competences to create an environment for world-class execution and technical leadership. The Department includes the following focus areas: Electrical Engineering (Architecture, Analog and Digital Board design, FPGA, Sensor Conditioning and Actuator Drivers, Real Time (sub-nanosec) Controls, High Bandwidth Data Capture and Power Distribution); Optomechanics (optical design, sensing and mounting) and The department is responsible for delivery of complex building blocks towards the EUV source in collaboration with experienced teams focused on software, optical and mechanical sub-systems.
The successful candidate will be passionate about developing, attracting and inspiring the engineering team leads, project leads and technical experts necessary to support the demanding timelines of the EUV source roadmap. The candidate will adhere to the design process with respect to process, tooling, quality, reliability, productivity and metrics. Also, he/she will be responsible for strengthening the technical competence and capabilities of the group by bringing new technology and capabilities into the organization, becoming a recognized leader for key competences within the global ASML D&E organization.
As a leader within the San Diego D&E organization, the successful candidate will set high standards for teamwork, collaboration and execution based on trust.
- Develops functional strategic plans and competence roadmap for electrical development of key subsystems.
- Manages and mentors multiple groups of electrical, and optics engineers
- Demonstrates leadership in meeting quality, cost, schedule, resource, and functional program objectives.
- Builds and maintains a high skill level in electrical engineering of ASML products.
- Proposes and leads technology development activities that minimize development time and risk in product developments.
- Effectively utilizes outsourced design.
- Develops and enforces department engineering practices and design rules, consistent with corporate objectives.
- Communicates status and progress according to established processes (IDRs, BOW, WSR, Quarterly Reviews, PDP Reviews, etc.)
- Allocates resources on a quarterly basis and responds to resource requirements on short notice.Interacts with Engineering Support services to optimize allocation of resources to perform electrical design work or coding.
- Develops departmental capabilities through the definition and execution of training plans for direct reports.
- Identifies and procures improved design and analysis tools and services.
- Manages the process for engineering-build lightsource subsystems, experimental designs for technology development projects, and prototype modules for pre-release design verification testing.
- May provide advanced management direction on a complex technical subject matter area (as with a cross-program, cross-department, or system-level performance issues).
- May lead cross-functional meetings to maintain coordination between the Electrical and Controls Engineering and other functional organizations (Manufacturing, Test, and Procurement) in handoff of product from engineering to production.
- Interprets, implements, and monitors modifications to department methods, processes, and policies that affect multiple work groups.
- Responsible for ASML San Diego’s electrical engineering strategy that includes the technology, people, and processes for successful implementation.
- May provide advanced management direction to a complex technical subject matter area; typically manages large scope programs of moderate complexity.
- Directly responsible for the successful implementation of the controller and platform electrical functional aspects of all new product development of ASML San Diego products.
- Directly responsible for controller and platform electrical functional sustaining of ASML San Diego products.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.Advanced degree preferred.
- 15+ years of direct work experience with 4+ years of direct management experience.
- Experience including management of multiple groups
- Previous management experience leading complex projects/activities.
- Demonstrated experience in bringing complex, precision Digital, Analog AND mixed-signal systems to production.
- Experience managing development projects that have complex circuit design that includes analog and digital integrated circuits with field programmable gate array technology required.
- Solid foundation of previous experience with circuit design.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to apply advanced project management skills, including scheduling and monitoring multi-functional, long-term projects/activities.
- Demonstrated ability to meet commitments and ensure work products are of high quality.
- Knowledge of current electrical development practices.
- Ability to align department objectives with corporate objectives.
- Sufficient technical capability to garner respect and support of high caliber technical contributors and managers.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Ability to achieve a high level of performance by setting clear expectations and holding people accountable.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure.
Context of the position
The ASML San Diego EUV D&E group is responsible for the development and engineering of complex vacuum, high pressure and laser systems to create new-to-industry EUV sources. The complexity of the EUV source places exacting requirements on electronic sub-systems for metrology instrumentation, real-time controls, optical drivers and safety, combining rapid development timelines with high reliability standards. Each sub-system requires unique and creative solutions drawing from precision analog, digital and power electronics capabilities.
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability