23 days ago - req19245
Optical Design Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML’s YieldStarSensor Group in Wilton CT is seeking a Physicist/Engineer with preference to optical engineering to support and develop optical / photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include light sources, detectors, optical and electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing software functioning as a key sub-system in ASML optical metrology tool. Understanding the components in their relation to the sensor system and understanding the interaction with the rest of the metrology tool and the measurement process is of fundamental importance.
The job description below defines the ideal set of qualifications for the position.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Key components of this position are:
- Using Physics, Mathematics, Electronics, Mechanics, and Software knowledge and an understanding of the sensor systems and the lithography tool to model, design and de-bug new and existing sensors in complex environments.
Desired skills in the candidate are:
- Optical modeling and data analysis and evaluation:
- Expertise with design, optical tolerancing and modeling with CodeV and/or Zemax.
- Wave propagation and diffraction modeling.Use of FRED for this modeling is a plus.
- Polarization optics and polarization modeling.
- Image processing and pattern recognition.
- Optical and physics Simulation in Matlab and other suitable languages and design tools.
- Data processing and trending with Matlab.
- And/or hands-on optical alignment, testing and qualification.
- Building and aligning complex sensors using diverse mechanical, collimation and interferometry.
- Test stand design and build: concept, error budget, realization.
- Optical sensors Hardware build and debugging.
- Working knowledge with diverse optical devices and sensors: objectives, collimation and relay optics, fibers, cameras and detectors.
- Matlab for data processing, correlation and trending, and visualization.
- The candidate must have the capacity to lead engineers and technicians in executing activities related to complex tests, data gathering, and effectively communicate results to managers and customers.
- Problem Solving:
- The candidate must have expertise at troubleshooting complex problems on complex systems, develop and debug algorithms;the candidate must have the ability to use analytical processes (8Ds, fault trees, Ishikawa diagrams, etc…) to develop test plans to determine problem root cause.
- The candidate must have the capability to clearly communicating progress and status of ongoing investigations to managers and to customers;Candidate will be required to write reports documenting investigations carried out.
- Nominal travel might be required ( ~ 15%) to Europe, Asia, and within the US can be expected on a routine basis.
MS in Optics (preferred) Physics, Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or other Engineering discipline, with an emphasis on optical system, photonics and data analysis and trending, or equivalent experience.
- PhD preferred.
- Dual degree in a second engineering discipline a plus.
- Three to five years of experience required.
- Experience in working with engineers across disciplines to solve complex problems in a timely manner.
- Strong emphasis on creative problem solving and effective communication.
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to solutions – strong critical thinking capability.
- Have strong written and oral communication skills and a commitment to achieving results while under time constraints;
- High energy, high level of dedication.
- Be willing to jump in on new issues, get to the bottom of the causes and propose practical solutions.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab).
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Internal Reference: #LI-KG1