12 days ago - req20510
Defectivity Materials Engineer
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
As a Design Engineer in the Defectivity group you will support hardware projects in meeting defectivity performance requirements. You will ensure that future hardware designs meet defectivity specifications in throughout the design and build phase. You will support resolution of particle contamination issues through materials analysis, root cause analysis, containment, and structural solving, that take lithography performance to the next level. You will write high quality test plans and reports following the ASML way of working. Your expertise contributes to the knowledge growth of our group. You report to the Engineering Manager of Defectivity and the Project Leader. Project team size is around 10 FTE, as well as regular work with other project teams.From time to time you may also be asked to go onsite at a customer or supplier.
ASML is seeking Materials Engineers or Specialists to join the Wilton, CT location in the Defectivity Group. Within ASML, the Development & Engineering (D&E) sector is responsible for the specification and design of ASML products. The Defectivity group is responsible for creating the perfect environment within the vacuum reticle modules in cutting edge EUV lithography machines. We take many approaches, such as designing the gas flow in vacuum, choosing the correct materials and designing cleanliness processes.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
- Strong background in one or more areas of interest to the Defectivity Project:
- Materials science and engineering / nanotechnology background.
- Tribology, wear resistance of coatings and materials.
- Plasma physics, electrostatics and materials compatibility.
- Small particle behavior in gas flows and high vacuum.
- Chemistry of surfaces and vacuum grade cleanliness.
- Take direction from ASML System Architects and Senior Engineering mentors who are leading the development effort of critical large capital equipment.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as robotics, mechatronics, or optical systems preferred but not required.
- Be an advocate on behalf of reducing particulate contamination in hardware designs.
BS (required) in Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or related, with a focus on material behavior, or equivalent experience.
- MS / PhD preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in systems design or advanced degree.
- Solid theoretical and practical experience with precision machined parts, optics, or mechatronics, ideally in the semiconductor industry preferred but not required.
- Experience with measurement tools and setting up experiments.
- Customer oriented team player willing to work with high level problem solvers on a daily basis.
- Genuine interest in materials science, engineering, and analysis, as well as in developing precision systems that can perform reliably at customer sites.
- High energy, self-motivated, quick study with flexible nature.
- Customer-centric personal ethos.
- Self-motivated team player with strong desire to learn and ability to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently and with minimal guidance.
- High potential to develop into a technical or personal leader in the organization.
- Good knowledge of English.
- Experience with instrumentation and interpretation used to study nano-scale particles, such as SEM, EDX, AES, SIMS, AFM, optical/confocal microscopy.
- Basic experience with material behavior predictive modeling and methods, including “first principles” engineering equations and other techniques.
- Strong skills in proof of concept development and design of experiments for a wide range of project needs.
- Demonstrated ability to derive conclusions from analysis and to make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills, including the ability to present results based on strong statistical evidence to audiences of a wide range of technical abilities.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- A challenging opportunity to expand your knowledge in a wide variety of engineering application areas and to work on problems spanning all technical fields.
- Highly creative and qualified teams with a diversity of experience.
- Great career opportunities at a quickly growing high-tech company.
- World class technical problems to solve.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability