10 days ago - req20639
US Internship - PDG Testing - Controls
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
In the Cymer Light Source (CLS) division in San Diego, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations, timing and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
“This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.”
We are looking for a talented engineering student with a strong and diverse background in electrical engineering to join our DUV EE controls team during the summer.This position will be a key contributor the characterization and testing of critical components and assemblies used in our DUV lasers.
Proposed project will encompass characterization, accelerated life testing, and initial qualification of HV ceramic capacitors in support of the muRata high voltage capacitor replacement on core modules in Cymer excimer laser products, including the discharge chamber and compression head.
- Develops test plans and fixtures for testing and characterization of the high voltage ceramic capacitors and related assemblies.
- Conducts performance and reliability characterization and testing over mechanical, environmental, and aging variables experienced by Cymer laser systems.
- Utilizes precision high voltage and current diagnostics and data acquisition equipment during performance testing and accelerated life testing
- Develops and implements programmable automated test scripts and data acquisition while using engineering and statistical analysis tools for data processing and analysis.
- Manage and monitor accelerated life testing shot accumulation, test conditions, and key performance indicators.
- Collaborates with pulsed power and laser discharge chamber teams on test planning, test execution, and data analysis.
- Collaborates with internal and external analytical services to provide optical, x-ray, and SEM analysis of sample components.
- Other responsibilities may be added as business conditions arise
Final year of Bachelor of Science degree or Master of Science degree in progress.Consider candidates from disciplines in electrical engineering, systems reliability engineering, and physics.
- At least 3 years of relevant academic or work related experience.
- Project leadership skills
- Experience with DoE (design of experiments)
- Strong background in analog circuit design; high power and voltage experience recommended
- Familiar with analog test equipment, LabVIEW, Python, and MatLab.
- Hands on experience with component-level and assembly hardware troubleshooting
- Experience with electronics test equipment – high-speed oscilloscopes, high speed voltage and current diagnostics, and high-speed data acquisition and process.
- Experience creating and executing detailed performance and life testing plans.
Context of the position
Candidate will have the opportunity work on a project that encompasses assessment of component, module, and systems performance and reliability; this is not typically experienced in BS or MS curriculum.
Candidate will be challenged to use conventional and specialize test equipment and data acquisition tools and be responsible to detailed testing, documentation, analysis, and reporting of results.
Candidate will be challenged to apply reliability and design of experience understanding to allow for improved structure and data driven results to the qualification testing.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability