30+ days ago - req21979
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, whiDes in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML.The Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the control loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Control Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control systemdevelopment and integration involving high speed electronics, real-time embedded software, precision metrology and sophisticated control algorithms, all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
- Serve as a technical expert for one or more control subsystems, capable of independent decision making for critical technical issues.
- Leads and mentors junior controls engineers, leads the development and integration of innovative control system solutions to enable stable and efficient production of EUV.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leads the design and building of tools that allow debugging, analysis, and performance evaluation of control system performance.Leads the root cause analysis for control system failures in products for integration and fielded units during escalations.
- Leads and performs integration activates including trouble shooting the control system, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs duties as assigned
Algorithms and Controls Specific
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex algorithms involving controller design, system identification, signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for lasers & other equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software requirements specifications for control algorithm designs.
- Mentors lower level algorithm engineers through technical guidance and assistance.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluation of algorithms.Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level escalations.
Requires a Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace, Control or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job.
- Requires a Masters or PhD degree in Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace, Control or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, estimation and system identification and non-linear systems postgraduate courses will be highly regarded.
- Working experience not required but will be viewed favorably
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to design and analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Experience designing practical feedback control systems of significant complexity.
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with System Identification desirable
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable.
- Understanding of embedded software systems desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) occasionally.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working withlasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability