30+ days ago - req22232
Senior Design Engineer - Controls
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the control loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Control Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control system development and integration involving sophisticated control algorithms, real-time embedded software, high speed electronics, precision sensors, and all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
- Serve as a technical expert for one or more control subsystems, capable of independent decision making for critical technical issues.
- Perform feasibility studies, support the development of product road maps, advise on future product definition and system specifications.
- Monitor integrity of system architecture during development, ensure the availability of Test Specifications, and coordinate or execute the testing process and design verification.
- Coordinate the specification of system functionalities, and design the system architecture based whilst ensuring commonality between products and subsystems across all programs, support program definition, co-ordinate decomposition and specification of sub systems, and support the review process and approval of designs in co-operation with applicable Product- and Project- Management.
- Define, plan, manage and coordinate assigned (portfolio of) projects and ensure execution and delivery, within the project management guidelines.
- Ensure and support optimal communication of specifications to all relevant parties to improve the decision processes, and prepare the introduction of approved new projects by defining all technical specifications on system level for Development / Engineering.
- Leads and mentors junior controls engineers, leads the development and integration of innovative control system solutions to enable stable and efficient production of EUV.
- Organize, coordinate, optimize, lead, coach, develop and appraise employees within the person's expertise / team.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leads and performs integration activates including trouble shooting the control system, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs duties as assigned.
- Algorithms and Controls Specific
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex algorithms involving controller design, system identification, signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for lasers & other equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software and/or firmware requirements for control algorithm implementations
- Mentors more junior level algorithm engineers through technical guidance and assistance.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluation of algorithms.Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level escalations.
- No experience with a PhD.
- 2+ years’ experience with a Master’s degree.
- 4+ years’ experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job.
- Ideal candidate usually possesses degree in Controls, Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or Physics
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, estimation and system identification and non-linear systems postgraduate courses will be highly regarded.
- Working experience not required but will be viewed favorably
- Experience designing and implementing practical feedback control or optimization systems of significant complexity required
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories required
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory required
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab and Simulink required
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report findings through written and/or graphical formats required
- Experience with System Identification desirable
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable
- Experience with embedded software systems desirable
- Experience with FPGA desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems required
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability