15 days ago - req22705
Patent Counsel / Attorney
Other job categories
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Physics, Electrical engineering, Other job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
ASML is looking to hire Patent Attorney responsible for performing a wide range of patent law functions arising within the organization. This position will be based in San Jose reporting to local Senior Patent Counsel. Responsibilities will include managing ASML’s global patent portfolio. In addition, the Patent Attorney will be partnering with and providing support to product teams, engineering teams, and management on a variety of IP related matters.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience including patent preparation and prosecution, freedom to operate, portfolio management. Familiarity with petitions and appeals is also desired.
Team information: The Applications Group provides IP services to Scientists, Engineers and Management involved with the Company’s products covering Computational Lithography, Metrology, and Inspection.
Patent Attorney will be responsible for working in close partnership with business units, engineers, cross functional teams and other peers to provide a wide range of patent law functions within ASML. This position will be based in San Jose and will report to the local Senior Patent Counsel. The successful candidate will be part of ASML’s intellectual property team helping to protect company innovations and mitigate IP risk. This is a great opportunity to join the local team of a well-established company with a global presence and get to work on cutting edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Actively develop and manage a global Patent portfolio
- Evaluate patent and other IP positioning of competitors to provide risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- Manage outside counsel to properly draft and prosecute high quality patent applications, draft petitions, appeals, and/or other exceptional or non-routine papers as necessary to gain allowance/issuance.
- Interact with and provide guidance to outside counsel consistent with ASML objectives and operating guidelines.
- Support execution of Company IP strategies including Patent filing, risk management and product clearance.
- Interact and work with engineering and business organizations to provide legal advice and align Patent strategy with business goals.
- Provide guidance and counsel to business teams on a range of intellectual property matters as requested or deemed appropriate.
- Evaluate third party Patent infringement claims against ASML subject matter areas of interest including research, products, or technologies.
- Occasionally assist with advising or structuring and/or negotiating in-bound or out-bound Patent licenses as directed and/or requested by ASML CIP and/or Company management.
- Provide regular updates to manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Should be OK to work extended hours when necessary to complete projects in a timely fashion.
- Some travel, both domestic and international will be required.
- Licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), from an accredited law school with excellent academic performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Engineering or Physical Sciences disciplines such as Electrical, Mechanical, Systems and Controls Science, Physics, Materials, or Optics
- Advanced degree in Physics with experience in Optics a plus.
- 3+ years of relevant patent experience.
- Must be licensed to practice before the United States Patent Office.
- Must be licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state or the District of Columbia. California preferred.
- Experience with physics, optics, electron optics, and/or semiconductor processing strongly preferred.
- Patent preparation and prosecution experience is required.
- Experience in the rendering of patentability, non-infringement opinions, and general risk analysis is required.
- Experience interacting, developing and discussing strategy with engineers and senior management
- Experience planning and directing administrative staff and others in activities supporting the ASML’s IP work and objectives.
- Broad technical knowledge, familiarity with all relevant technologies.
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as on-line research tools.
- Fully functioning in the job independently with only general direction needed.
- Strong professional drive to take on challenging assignments.
- Ability to work proactively and effectively with various teams across ASML including a diverse group of colleagues and internal clients in multiple countries.
- Work on complex projects/problems/tasks and demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Ability to solve a wide range of IP issues in a creative and business-centric ways.
- Ability to provide guidance to junior staff members with aspects of their job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate and statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphic formats.
- Excellent judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent client/customer service ethics and skills, with an advanced understanding of client relationship-building.
- Strong competency with the tools, systems, and procedures required to accomplish the job.
- Be a team player
Context of the position
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires frequent sitting, standing and walking. Daily use of a computer is required. May stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability