30+ days ago - req24486
Material Scientist - Tribology - Guaranteed sign on bonus and relocation
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
JoinASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December15, 2021.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML is seeking an experienced material scientist with expertise in tribology and surface interactions of glass, ceramics and carbon based coatings to produce ultra-high precision systems. You will join the Advanced Development Center in Wilton, Connecticut - A Research and development team focused on proto-typing of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems. The main job function is to understand the friction and wear mechanisms on critical component surfaces, identifying solutions to extend/improve the component lifetime and to solve challenging engineering problems associated with achieving nanometer scale precision. In this role you will focus on characterizing, testing and modeling surface phenomena for wafer table product development from concept through prototyping to industrialization.
The Advanced development center in ASML Wilton, Connecticut is seeking is seeking an experienced material scientist with expertise in tribological phenomena of glass and ceramics. Advanced development center in Wilton, Connecticut is an multi-disciplinary group of engineers and scientistsfocused developing on learning loop solutions, proto-typing of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems and industrialization of proto-types that meet the system performance requirement.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The main focus of this position will be:
- Understand/improve friction properties and wear behavior of materials used in the current system with appropriate testing techniques and equipment.
- Investigate and characterize material to material friction and wear mechanisms.
- Develop, demonstrate feasibility and industrialize new integrated process flows for prototyping of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems.
- Solve any engineering challenges that we encounter related to chemical and material aspects of design and manufacturing process of optical and ceramic substrates to achieve the precision and life time performance at sub-nanometer scale.
- Investigate material issues/challenges using appropriate material diagnostic tools such as SEM/EDS, AFM, WLI, friction testing, nano-indentation etc.
- Perform flatness, roughness and other metrology measurements using WLI, Interferometers and AFM.
- Perform data analysis of surface characterization measurements and correlate with modeling results.
- Understand and link the performance of the process effects to the performance of ASMLs systems in field.
- Clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing technical activities to senior management.
- Support preparation of design reviews for the development team.
- Prepare engineer documentation like Element Performance Specifications, Element Design Specifications, Test Performance Specification; Test Analysis Reports andrelease the documents by following change control process.
- Write engineering procedure and train technicians to efficiently transfer the build/alignment & test process to manufacturing.
Masters or equivalent experience.
- At least 4-5years of industry experience in Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or other engineering disciplines.
- Preferred: PhD with 2+ years of industry experience in Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or other engineering disciplines.
- Ability to work in the clean room environment knowledge in material and material interaction (especially glass, ceramics, thin film materials, gases, etc); with deep understanding of the fundamentals of friction, lubrication and wear processes of metallic, ceramic, and polymeric materials.
- Good understandingand experience in materials characterization methods (white light interferometer, Nano-indenter, Friction tester, SEM, AFM, etc).
- Expert knowledge of MATLAB or equivalent for data collection, analysis to drive solutions and modeling of surface interaction.
- Excellent Knowledge of electro-optical, mechanical and interfacial properties of coatings and ceramic structure.
- General understanding of optics and ceramic manufacturing methods a plus; Basic understandingof manufacturing process optimization.
- Excellent analytical and experimental skills.
- Candidate must:
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills and a commitment to achieving results on time while under time constraints;High energy, high ownership, high level of dedication.
- Be willing to jump in on new issues, identify root cause and propose practical solutions.
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to solutions – strong critical thinking capability.
- Have demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab).
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability