9 days ago - req24943
Mechanical Design Engineer - HT&T
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Responsible for development of tooling used to manufacture, qualify, install, hoist and transport EUV modules inside a cleanroom. Performs a variety of engineering tasks including writing requirements, designing, overseeing outsourced design, developing test plans, test execution, various forms of analysis, troubleshooting and implementing subassemblies and modules. Responsibilities include managing mass budgets, volume claims, particle control / cleanliness design, design for manufacturability, and design for serviceability. Researches and selects future key suppliers for consideration as turn-key providers of sub-systems and tools. Initiates and manages outsourced (contract) design projects of varying complexities. Managing schedules, budgets and performance aspects for multiple projects. Develops resolutions to critical issues and broad design matters. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs.Directs support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
In the position of Mechanical Engineer you are responsible for the conceptualization, detailed design and technical product documentation of complex tools which may include vacuum vessels, large frames with micron-level accuracy, fluid flows of various substances, heating, cooling, high-precision metrology, mechatronic systems and controls of such, all used in class1000 cleanroom environments. The Mechanical Engineer position reports to the Group Leader as well as the Project Leader(s). He or she maintains regular alignment with the owner of the overall function to which his or her deliverables contribute as well as cross-functional alignment on progress towards meeting requirements and commitments. You will collaborate with system architects in a multidiscipline project team to develop concepts, perform engineering analysis, build and test prototypes, generate detail CAD designs, create engineering drawings, partner with suppliers and support design integration and test.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for module design from concept design through manufacturing transfer for tools used in manufacturing and service.
- Responsible for adherence to an internal development process in all stages of the design cycle.
- Understands methods relating to clean product design, for use in a class1000 cleanroom.
- Provides a necessary background and performs analysis design for manufacturability in low volume products and tools, and design for configuration management.
- Generates module or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Qualifies designs using production modules and facilities.
- Manages to a project plan including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Drives full documentation of design including, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Develops verification and qualification test plans and executes to those plans.
- Supports development activities using the Product Development Process including concept reviews, design reviews, proto builds, pilot builds, verification testing, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Lead dFMEA and pFMEA exercises.
- Responsible for the research and selection of new suppliers with potential for turn-key provision of key subsystems.Responsible for providing technical expertise in the core technology area of the potential suppliers to reveal best design path and performance and cost from future subsystem purchases.
- Coordinates purchasing activities with manufacturing, planning, and engineering departments to acquire inventory in a cost effective and timely manner.Processes purchase requisitions, purchase change orders, and requests for quotes to suppliers.
- Works closely with a team of internal engineers in an effort to embitter the entire team.
- Interacts with cross-functional staff including engineers, scientists, manufacturing, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience.
- Experience in designing and testing tools used in semiconductor manufacturing.
- Experience designing tools for servicing large capital equipment.
- Experience with complete product development lifecycle.
- Application of finite element analysis (FEA) to the design cycle
- Performing tolerance studies/analysis
- Writing requirements documents and test plans
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Experience with creativity in solving complex design problems.
- Experience with Siemens NX/TC required.
- Experience with engineering development processes; scope definition, conceptualization, design reviews, bills of materials, manufacturing documentation, assembly documentation, configuration documentation, qualification test development, etc.
- Experience using tools in a cleanroom environment
- A firm understanding of engineering design practices
- A thorough understanding of GD&T
- Experience building and running complex systems
- Experience writing proper engineering requirements
- Applies knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Travel within and outside the US may be required
- Can influencing without formal power/negotiating skills, has good communicational skills (verbal and written), can gather consensus and alignment across a cross-functional team.
- Can translate (high level) requirements into SMART work packages (including staffing and timing input).
- Strong analytical ability with a pragmatic attitude; can make realistic proposals to tackle complex issues.
- Able to perform and work independently in a dynamic, explorative environment.
- Highly committed and flexible (working outside office hours, changing requirements and boundary conditions).
- Highly motivated team player with excellent social, coordination and communication skills.
- Ability to organize work effectively and having a systematic approach in problem solving.
- Ability to provide technical direction, motivate and convince a team of professionals.
- Robust personality is a must.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability