You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Linux Software Engineer - C/C++/Python
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
We are SICS (Software Infrastructure and Computer Systems), the department that provides the software and hardware platform for our lithography systems – the heart of ASML.
We are more than just software, networking, operating systems or computer systems; therefore our work is more than just design, virtualization or pure infrastructure. Our projects are extremely complex, the risks that we take are high and the outcome is often a technical wonder.
There’s a lot expected from us and we always deliver more than what is expected. We achieve this not just by having a deep comprehension of some of the world’s most complex technical systems, but by being reliable and committed; by eliminating roadblocks and collaborating across departments.
We are at the heart of ASML and our hearts beat Linux!
Since the number of our projects is continuously growing, our department is growing as well. We are looking for people who are as passionate about Linux as we are. We also love Python, virtualization, abstracting operating systems and we love to put it all together and create unique, reliable systems which will enable our internal clients to create state of the art technical solutions.
- Are you an experienced engineer with a strong background in developing software and configuring Linux ecosystems?
- Do you enjoy creating outstanding solutions in Python?
- Are you passionate about virtualization, automation and creating reliable solutions using off the shelf components?
- Do you like to customize and configure a Red Hat Linux distribution to bring our application to maximum performance?
Does your heart beat Linux? Apply and let’s talk!
Together with a talented team you will work on:
- Enhancing, managing and maintaining the operating systems, network and storage solutions.
- Reducing the number of manual actions required
- Enhancing security
- Providing a higher availability
- Creating and configuring the Linux operating system using Python and Ansible
We have several groups in search for new colleagues. Each group has a specific focus:
- Operating Systems
- Storage & Virtualization
Depending on the group where you will be based, the day to day activities may include:
- Create, customize, configure and test Linux Red Hat and WindRiver distributions using Python scripts and Ansible (or similar tools, depending on the group).
- Create, improve and test upgrade, installation and backup & restore scripts.
- RedHat Virtualization
- Create custom RPM packages for automatic installations on our systems.
- Help creating high level work packages including estimates.
- Analyze and solve defects.
- Actively contributing to risk assessments discussions
- Bug hunting sessions of issues found in the field or at integration test systems
- Test the automatic test scripts on target hardware, representing parts of our products.
- We use common off the shelf software and we fine-tune it to our needs.
- System management & deployment
- Install, configure and maintain Linux operating systems for a variety of ASML platforms
- Creation and maintenance of software for automated ASML platforms and operating systems installations including server-side operations and troubleshooting tasks
- Use of virtualization technology and cloud providers (both virtual machines and containers) for hosting services
- Use of virtualization technology for running ASML’s machine software stack
- DTAP environment for micro-service web application development (VMWare & Docker, extensions to RHEV and Kubernetes)
- Deployments in virtualized environment
Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Embedded Systems or equivalent.
In order to be successful in one of our roles, you would need to have experience in one or several areas, such as:
- Solid experience as a Linux developer or equivalent within a high tech, enterprise environment
- Scripting languages such as Python, Bash
- Software design experience with C or C++
- Experience in configuring, using and debugging network technologies such as DNS, DHCP, HTTP, Routing, NTP and NFS, WindRiver.
- Experience with automated testing tools and techniques (Robot Framework)
- Knowledge of continuous delivery process and technologies (GIT, Jenkins, Ansible, Jira)
- Experience in working with configuration management systems (e.g. GIT, Artifactory).
- Experience in creating high level designs and writing documentation.
- Experience with hardware architectures like x86, PPC, GPU
- Working in Agile environment (Scrum/SAFe, MVP thinking)
- Linux virtualizations and automation techniques: Docker, VMWare, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, Kubernetes
- Experience in installation, configuration and maintenance Linux operating systems
- Certifications in RHCSA, Network knowledge (CCNE) are an advantage
- You are an enthusiastic and ambitious Linux professional with good communication and stakeholder management skills.
- You are willing to take the lead on technical decisions and have a high quality standard for deliveries.
- You take initiative, continuously drive for improvements, you want to learn and you enjoy achieving results together with your team
- You have a strong business awareness (you are able to translate value based discussions into technical deployments)
- You are capable to understand the bigger picture and think in building long-term reliable solutions.
- You know that in order to move forward you might need to take calculated risks, when the projects require it. Together with your team, you will formulate the best solution and together take the risks and responsibility for delivering the projects.
Context of the position
Within ASML, the sector Development & Engineering (D&E) is responsible for the specification, design and engineering of the ASML products. Within D&E, the Software Cluster is concerned with the design, development, testing and integration of the complete software package which drives a generation of ASML products. Inside the Software Cluster, the department Software Infrastructure and Computer Systems (SICS) is responsible for the integration and releasing of newly developed platform software, often in close cooperation with the electronics development department. This SICS platform drives a generation of several ASML products. You will be part of a software development team within the SICS department.
This position requires access to U.S. controlled technology, as defined in the United States Export Administration Regulations. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such U.S. controlled technology prior to beginning work.
ASML does not accept unsolicited resumes from any agencies that have not signed a mutual service agreement. All unsolicited resumes will be considered ASML’s property, and ASML will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers without contacting the Resource Center Department.
ASML is GDPR compliant, therefore we cannot process applications sent outside of our recruitment system.
If you are interested in this vacancy please apply.