4 days ago - req25780
Customer Support Engineer
Other job categories
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Other job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Analyze and make repairs at customer site, if needed by effectively escalating to the next higher level, based on broad knowledge of most systems, using system documentation, to solve problems. Execute regular maintenance, implement upgrades and Field Change Orders, and provide elementary training to the customer and ensure proper operation of ASML machines at customer site.
Role & responsibilities
Problem analysis and approach:
- Gather all information relevant for the problem, analyze using available means, gather additional diagnostic info if needed, decide on initial approach to solve problem, assess new information and adapt approach if necessary.
- Chosen approach to solving the problem will lead to quickest solution with minimal side effects and/or downtime.
Problem handovers and routing:
- Handover problem or problem aspects to others (2nd/3rd line support), document and package all data relevant for problem resolution (e.g. pass-downs, work orders, field service reports, system problem reports, technical reports), ensure problem ownership is clear, ensure follow-up.
- Available expertise is being used optimally, problem is clearly described and defined, status is clear for all involved.
- Advise customer technical personnel in dealing with problems, together with customer technical staff and using manuals and guidance from 2nd and 3rd line support, use tools, replace parts, improve settings, to execute repairs.
- Problem is solved with minimum downtime.
- Arrange with customer machine time window to execute procedure, plan procedure, arrange for all (possible) parts, tools, equipment and information/knowledge to be available at start of procedure, execute procedure, make necessary decisions/adaptations during procedure to realize optimal results.
- ASML product functions within specifications.
- Explain appropriate actions to users to correct malfunctions, train customers in use and routine maintenance of equipment, recommend changes in user procedures when needed.
- Enhanced understanding of users in dealing with routine and more exceptional malfunctions.
- Install equipment at customers locations, including equipment with new features, unload components, inspect for damage, assemble, align and test.
- Installed equipment.
Knowledge build-up and transfer:
- Teach others on ASML products, new and installed, tools, manuals, ways of working etc., maintain and broaden own knowledge.
- Capabilities of team are continuously improving.
- Provide appropriate support and assistance to less experienced ASML or local personnel as necessary.
- Provided support to less experienced colleagues.
- Signal possible improvements in manuals/procedures and ways of working, analyze applicability, accuracy and adherence to design specifications, recommend design changes or substitution of materials when appropriate.
- Contribution to the optimization of products, materials and (work)processes within the team or area/domain.
Coordination and customer interaction:
- Plan and coordinate the activities of employees in the team, including client personnel, deal with customer on multiple levels in all situations.
- Customer satisfied on team performance.
Scheduled service activities:
- Execute regular maintenance and implement upgrades and FCO’s. Machine meeting its (new) specifications.
- Little customer interaction in customer environment and little or no account team involvement and interfaces with customer maintenance and/or process engineer or technician level.
- Has daily interaction with customer and interfaces often with defined internal and external customer's senior engineering and line manager level and is occasionally involved in account team.
- Coaches junior colleagues.
Problem solving/own rate:
- Handles predefined tasks and tests (e.g. preventive maintenance).
- Handles most defined problems, either by him/herself or through escalation.
- Handles most problems and structural issues on his/her own.
- Signals gaps and improvement opportunities and reports it to the relevant stakeholders and gives input for an improvement proposal.
- Works supervised on basic maintenance and diagnostics.
- Works on diagnostics supervised and works independently on basic maintenance, whilst reviewed on progress and end results.
- Works independently on diagnostics and maintenance, whilst reviewed on end results.
Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent experience.
- Has basic knowledge of product functionality of the main modules/sub-modules.
- Has complete knowledge on product functionality of the main modules/sub-modules and executes the defined action plan by him/herself.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability