30+ days ago - req25868
Linux Platform Engineer
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering, Electrical engineering
This position is in Diagnostics and Recovery Tooling of the ASML Software (SW) department. This department focusses on improving system availability at customer’s production processes by process optimization for ASML Engineers in factory and field. Software for these Engineers is being developed to increase their service capabilities. That software is deployed on a server rack inside the customer’s data center. It takes data from ASML devices as input for diagnostics on system performance and availability. This data is processed via feedback loops towards Engineers and headquarter (HQ) to continuously monitor, improve and optimize the efficiency of our Engineers work processes.
The Equipment Performance Server (EPS) is a product which ASML places at customer sites to support ASML Customer Support Engineers.
The application software described above is created by specialists in other teams. Together with the EPS team of ~8 people it is your task to ensure there is a platform where this software can run above 99.9% availability guarantee. Currently ASML installed many servers at customer sites worldwide. The team you work with designed the hardware (HW) setup, the virtualization layers, manages firmware updates and provides a key set of supporting software services to manage the hardware platform. The team is very strong on the technical aspects. The daily organization is done by the team itself in an Agile manner. We are looking for a candidate with a(n) (scaled) Agile mindset who wants to work within a self-organizing team, picking up activities from a sprint backlog. Some capacity of the team is reserved for field issues.
A next generation cloud-based platform is under construction. This is a new development that comes with a large learning opportunity for the team. The software that runs on the classical hardware platform is refactored to become platform agnostic. In the new setup cloud solutions are the baseline; Cloud-init, Terraform, Docker, VCenter, RHEV and GCP.
Your hands-on job is to support both. The stability of the existing platforms in the field and the introduction of the new platform with all its new opportunities and issues. You are profound in troubleshooting hardware, virtualization, network and software issues even if these go beyond the platform. You understand the impact containerization may or may not have in these cases. Robust definition of software and platform, install and upgrade (Ansible, Shell script) is one of your hobbies. In the end you take pride in robust and stable platforms, as you are a true Engineer.
- Maintenance and creation of ansible playbooks that are used in software deployment;
- Shell scripts for many tasks;
- Support development teams at the Veldhoven site where they experience potential platform issues;
- Max. 10% travel to ASML customers for troubleshooting and upgrades, that cannot be executed remotely;
- You are a Linux/Unix fan and enjoy working with Red Hat software releases. You can help identifying the implications when a move from one version to the next is required;
- Development of automated tests, that can be re-used on platform changes and upgrades to ensure no regression impact is caused;
- Manage a platform setup through VMWare (RHEV) know how to make and restore backups;
- Be able (and enjoy) to work with Python for test execution, scripting and documenting purposes;
- Main technologies: GCP, Red Hat Linux, RHEV, VMWare, Ansible, Shell Scripting, Podman, Docker, (Secure) Networking.
A relevant BSc, MSc or higher in the area of Computer Engineering, IT or Electronics.
- For this position we seek a hands-on professional with at least 3 years of experience in a similar platform(s) environment (see requirements listed in the Job Description section);
- Proven affinity within the DevOps field;
- Experience with (scaled) Agile way of working.
- First of all, you’re passionate about technology and are excited by the idea that your work will impact millions of people in whose daily life ASML based products are standard;
- You like to investigate issues and you’re a creative problem solver;
- You’re open-minded, you like to discuss technical challenges and you want to push the boundaries of technology;
- You are flexible and able to context switch (and you strive to minimize the need for these);
- You are an innovator and you constantly seek to improve your knowledge and your work;
- You and the team form one entity, bringing constant incremental value to your customer(s);
- You are quality oriented – you don’t settle for second-best solutions, but strive to find the best ways to acquire top results.
Context of the position
You will be working in the Sequence Tooling group.
Keywords: GCP, GitHub, VMWare, RHEV, 3PAR, Podman, Docker, DNS, Firewall, VCentre, Blade Server, DataCenter, OnSite Support, Ansible, Shell scripting, HP hardware, Red Hat, RPM, Splunk, 4th line support, Python, Jira, Scaled Agile.