15 days ago - req26317
Topology, Tribology & Wear expert
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Are you challenged by demanding projects in a multidisciplinary context? Do you have the technical capabilities to provide innovative solutions? Does contributing to the world’s most advanced lithography machines makes you feel responsible and proud? Then this might be the right opportunity for you.
ASML Research is looking for a Scientist/Engineer with expertise in tribology to strengthen the Flow & Temperature group. The F&T group focusses on flow, temperature, contamination and tribological challenges for the next generation Lithography Tools.
Within the group,tribology is a key expertise to understand and influence interactions between surfaces. In order to control the surface friction and wear behavior a detailed understanding roughness and contact area changes needs to be developed. The expert will work in a multidisciplinary team and will be responsible for surface interaction aspects in the project.
Your responsibilities and daily activities will be:
- Further development of existing software tools through implementing new insights and/or functionalities. (e.g. BEM)
- Compare model results with practical use case data & formulate improvement directions
- Investigating and establishing the effects of roughness and contact area on friction, enabling key understanding of the relevant interactions between surfaces
- Developing a roughness metric and methods to establish predictable friction behavior over lifetime
- Taking responsibility for the quality of models predicting the effects of roughness and, where needed, for the design and performance of model validation experiments.
Technical University PhD/Master (with 2-5 years of experience) in Physics, Chemistry or Mechanical/Materials Engineering with expertise in tribology and surface interactions.
- Broad knowledge and experience in tribology and nano-scale surface interactions.
- Metrics characterizing surface roughness and friction.
- Optical, SEM based and/or AFM based analysis tools.
- Pre is Experience with Matlab.
- Pre if familiar with programming in C/C++ (simulation packages are written in C/ C++).
- Open to learning techniques outside of the above mentioned fields in the future.
- Autonomous, whilst having a drive to work and cooperate within a highly skilled team of experts towards a common goal.
- Inquisitive and strong personality.
- Pragmatic attitude with an analytical view.
- Able to communicate effectively across disciplines and at all organizational levels.
- Fluency in English.
Context of the position
The Research Flow & Temperature group is part of the Research department of ASML. Its task is to identify and fill in the technological gaps in the future roadmap of lithography and the lithography market. Our focus is on temperature and contamination control including the mechanical and material aspects of modules used in lithography tools. We work in small teams and deliver proof of concept solutions that can be transferred to Development and Engineering. We intensively work together with external research institutes and universities.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Industrial research, tribology, friction, wear, mechanical, materials