30+ days ago - req26675
Machining Cost Engineer (Precision Mechanics)
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
ASML in San Diego (US) is seeking a Cost Engineer within our Supplier Quality and Cost Engineering team here in San Diego, California. As a manufacturing expert/engineer you will lead value creation and driving Cost of Goods reduction for San Diego’s new products in coordination with the internal design team, Sourcing and ASML key suppliers. These new products will include high precision mechanical and mechatronic systems, optical, opto-mechanical, sub-systems and components.
The Cost Engineer will report to the Group Lead of Supplier Quality and Cost Engineering within the Industrialization Department for EUV Source development in D&E San Diego. The role will consist of preparing cost estimates to support the development of new products in a fast paced, highly technical environment to ensure cost of goods remain in line with budget. It will also entail making parts virtually on our software to determine the optimal cost of the parts and assemblies. You will meet with Design Engineers and influence the design using your knowledge of optimal manufacturing practices. Finally, you will work with Sourcing and Procurement visiting suppliers to validate and negotiate technical costs.
- Drive down Cost of parts and assemblies by influencing design on manufacturability & costs.
- Creation of Manufacturing Process Flows for manufacturability and cost calculations based on those flows.
- Collaborate with Development & Engineering competences, Sourcing and Supply Chain Engineering.
- Comfortable negotiating technical cost with suppliers (i.e. milling times, setup analysis, tooling, …)
This is a technical job, not financial. You will be determining manufacturing setup time, milling time, turning time, EDM time, etc. You will be working on multiple projects and with other Cost Engineers, Purchasing, Design Engineers, Project Leads, Supplier Chain Engineers, etc.
Some travel (up to 20%) both Domestic and International can be expected.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering or equivalent experience.Additional education in relevant engineering subjects is highly desirable.
Industry experience: 8 or more years overall experience in development and manufacturing of complex high-tech assemblies and mono-parts.Will consider equivalent experience.
Candidate must have:
- 5 years of direct experience in the practice of high-end precision manufacturing of high precision mechanics and mechatronics assembly with qualification.
- Thorough understanding and experience with the more advance manufacturing process’ like 5 Axis CNC Milling, CNC Turning, Laser/E-Beam welding, additive (3D printing) manufacturing, precision mechanics in vacuum, laser and waterjet cutting, EDM, manufacturing flow, etc.
- Knowledge of manufacturability of raw material manufacturing like stainless steel, titanium, refractory metals, casting, extrusion, high end plastics, etc.
- Understand supplier and supply chain (advanced) manufacturing capabilities and preferable their financial value stream and costs. Working in design teams,supplier account teams and suppliers. Determine manufacturing strategies and create product costing of designs for high precision, low volume parts and complex modules based on optimum serial and volume manufacturing effects.
- Experience with manufacturing complex components and assemblies and a general understanding of costs.
- Proven ability to drive down Cost of parts and assemblies by influencing design on manufacturability and costs.
- Creation of manufacturing process flows for manufacturability and cost calculations based on those flows.
- Collaborate with: Development & Engineering competences, Sourcing and Supplier Quality Engineering.
- Understand high precision, low volume, high mix manufacturing strategies
- Strong collaboration with cross-functional teams: Development & Engineering competences, Sourcing and Supply Chain Engineering.
- Has excellent analytical and simulation skills for product costs and supplier factory standard cost scenarios.
- Proactive member of design and supplier account teams.
- Support and mentor designers with regard to design for manufacturing.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication with strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent written communication on reporting of cost validations, opportunities and risks.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability