22 days ago - req27073
Senior Mechatronics Architect - Wafer Handling
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
As a sr. Mechatronics Architect your mission is to specify, design, realize and qualify wafer handling modules and systems. This will be done in the HMI Platform Architecture team, this team consists of architects of different competencies with as purpose to make together an optimum machine platform to use for our SEM products. You will be working on high end e-beam wafer metrology and inspection systems which are used during fabrication of the most advanced computer chips.
Hermes Microvision, Inc. (HMI), an ASML company, is a leading supplier of advanced E-beam inspection and pattern verification systems used for advanced semiconductor devices. HMI has multiple years of e-beam application experience and leadership in semiconductor factories, focused on high resolution and voltage contrast imaging. As part of ASML, HMI will boost ASML’s holistic lithographic portfolio of (i) lithography exposure systems, (ii) computational lithography and (iii) metrology. Between these three cornerstones ASML offers application products for process window enhancement, control and detection.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
In this role you:
- Are the technical lead within the wafer handling project.
- Make appropriate tradeoffs and decisions in order to guarantee the project meets specifications, balancing cost, resources and lead time.
- Design and develop custom high precision & high speed mechatronics systems, including wafer handlers, vacuum robots, sensors, servos, etc.
- Align with other engineers on functional diagrams, documentation, design, prototype, and development of the wafer positioning subsystem.
- Setup the architectures for efficient wafer handling
- Will be responsible for machine & material damage control.
- Test and validation of your deliverables into the larger machine scope.
- Will break down function and module requirements into requirements for sub-functions and modules.
- Work with external suppliers to define and develop certain aspects of new product design while creating documents and collaborating with internal cross discipline teams.
- Provide effective presentation and written evaluations to communicate concepts, designs, test results, etc.
- Steer junior designers in making high quality designs.
- Master or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Physics or similar.
- At least 3-7 years relevant, work related experience.
- Previously held or demonstrated leadership ability and is comfortable presenting technical ideas and content to upper management.
- A good understanding of mechatronics, “classical control theory” and “digital control theory” including time and frequency domain analysis, stability (Nyquist/Bode plots), Velocity-Acceleration-Jerk (VAJ), feedback/feedforward servo control systems, dynamics, transfer function with gain and phase analysis, transfer functions, continuous/discrete feedback control, real time controls, etc.
- Strong skills in proof of concept development and design of experiments for a wide range of project needs.
- Ability to run complex mechatronic systems for test and qualification of design changes.
- Demonstrated ability to derive conclusions from analysis and to make practical recommendations.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as imaging/optical systems, semiconductor, or lithography preferred but not required.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Quality focused and acting as a quality gatekeeper in discussions with project management.
- Being able to keep a high level overview / helicopter view of designs and ability to zoom in or zoom out of a topic in technical details based on need.
- Effective interpersonal skills; able to convince others. Being able to explain the same topic to different audience with different level of details.
- Critical and not afraid to speak up in a respectful manner.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Fluent in English in speech and in writing.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require 10% travel (specify domestic and/or international) dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability