You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Project Leader - Upgrades
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Hillsboro - OR, US
Other job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The CS EUV Upgrades Project Leader is responsible for complex system upgrades on leading edge lithography systems; at the customer site, within specifications, on time, and within budget; all while exceeding customer expectations in terms of safety and quality performance. He or she also takes an active role in the continuous improvement of our processes and way-of-working.
ASML brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography systems that enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to continuously reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips.
Within ASML, the Customer Support (CS) sector is responsible for the maintenance, repair, and continuous improvement of ASML systems in the field. As an integral and growing part of CS, the CS EUV Upgrades department prepares and manages the execution of complex upgrade projects and other activities on ASML systems at customer sites. These upgrades are executed over the course of several days or weeks to many months in a 24/7 schedule by teams of engineers varying between 5 and 40.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
While CS EUV Upgrades projects utilize Coordinators to run the daily operations in a project, the Project Leader maintains end responsibility as he/she facilitates the team, maintains a crisp and actionable high-level overview, and plans ahead to identify bottlenecks and create an effective risk mitigation plan. Travel up to 20% might be required for upgrade preparation and training purposes.
The Project Leader reports into the local site and line management.
The main activities are divided over three project phases:
1 – Preparation phase:
- In this phase the Project Leader determines the triple constraint (scope, timing, cost) of their project and works with various entities within the company to secure the required resources, and forge the team with the right people in the right roles.
- This phase is also where the first version of the safety protocols and the risk mitigation plans are created, incorporating the lessons learned from previous projects. An effective preparation phase is crucial to be able to appropriately respond to the dynamics surrounding the project.
2 – Execution phase:
This is the longest phase of the project where the demanding set of responsibilities of the Project Leader come together, and where he/she will need to effectively multi-task and delegate.
- Maintain and communicate high-level project planning, including resource management.
- Drive key milestones for on-time completion and ensure full transparency towards team members and stakeholders (internal and external).
- Be the ambassador of the CS EUV Upgrades department.
- Provide project status updates towards customer, and coordinate customer-related activities with project team.
- Effectively communicate complex upgrade and technical details to customer.
- Ensure and adherence to agreed escalation process.
- Take the lead in escalations that are beyond control of coordinators and team leads, and implement methods and actions that prevent them from recurring.
- Ensure follow-up on reported issues throughout the ASML organization.
- Provide feedback throughout the project to further improve future upgrades, taking into account safety, quality, cycle time, and overall cost.
Coaching and performance feedback:
- Provide line management with feedback on performance targets of team members and suggest actions to support improvement and further development.
- Coach the team members in maintaining a safe work environment, high quality standards and excellent execution.
- Review the project with the team members on a regular basis.
3 – Wrap-up phase:
- In this phase the Project Leader leads the closure and/or transfer of all open actions. Lessons learned are captured with the team and driven towards embedding for the benefit of future projects. The Project Leader also takes care of proper adjourning of the project team and takes care of a last round of performance feedback towards team members and their line managers.
Minimum degree of Bachelor in a relevant field, e.g. Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Metrology, Physics, Chemistry, or Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- At last five years of project management excellence in a complex and challenging high-tech environment, preferably with substantial customer interaction.
- Demonstrable affinity with mechanics, electronics, and semiconductor processes as well as a track record of safety and quality focus.
- Knowledge of lithography processes and tools as well as the semiconductor industry is preferred.
- Experience with Lean principles and running Daily Kaizen meetings is preferred.
- Quickly and easily create rapport with people with various backgrounds.
- Focus on team building and cohesion; able to motivate professionals.
- Flexible and stress-resistant, and excel in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Excellent command of the English language, both verbal and in writing.
- Result-driven and customer-focused; able to quickly digest complex information and act decisively.
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills.
- Balance between high-level strategic issues and deep-dives where required.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability