3 days ago - req27910
Senior Metrology/Optical Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The Senior Metrology/Optical Engineer will be responsible for the development of one or more subsystems that measure and control the production of light in the extreme ultraviolet (EUV) source for next generation photolithography tools. These metrology systems use a variety of optical and electronic measurement techniques to accomplish their function. The engineer will be responsible for creating specifications for the metrology performance, defining architectures that meet those specifications and analyzing the solutions to predict performance. Engineering tasks will include design, development, testing, troubleshooting, and productization of the metrology subsystem(s). In addition, the engineer will provide technical leadership to the project, our suppliers, as well as supporting our customers’ technical needs.
- Responsible for metrology definition and engineering design of one or more subsystems
- Leads the development and integration of innovative metrology system solutions to enable stable and efficient production of EUV for both research and product development
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to metrology design and validation
- Develops specifications for optical and opto-mechanical modules in accordance with system requirements and cross-functional requirements
- Applies broad knowledge in optics, sensors, electronics, algorithms, software, and data analysis tools to drive metrology system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability
- Leads and performs integration activities including troubleshooting the control system, developing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source
- Leads the design and building of tools that allow debugging, analysis, and performance evaluation of metrology system performance.Leads the root cause analysis for metrology system failures in products for integration and fielded units during escalations
- Works with a cross-functional team to support the development, manufacturing, and integration of innovative core technologies into engineering solutions
- Communicates status reports and issues across various functional disciplines
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials
- Bachelors’ degree in optics, physics, or related science or engineering discipline with a minimum of four (4) years of experience in an applicable field, or
- Masters’ degree in optics, physics, or related engineering discipline with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in an applicable field, or
- PhD degree in optics, physics, or related engineering discipline
- Experience with semiconductor capital equipment industry is a plus.
- Solid theoretical and experimental background in some or all of:
- Optical design and analysis on imaging systems
- Sensors and/or detectors, especially camera systems
- Laser optics
- Image and Signal Processing
- High speed electronics
- Hands-on experience with optical alignment processes and tools, laser systems, and building signal detection and processing systems is required
- Experience with data analysis and visualization using advanced data analysis tools (e.g. MATLAB, Python) is required
- Experience with modeling optical and opto-mechanical systems using optical design and analysis software (e.g. Zemax) highly desirable
- Experience with mechanical design software e.g. NX is a plus
- Experience with advanced data acquisition and analysis tools (e.g. LabView) is a plus
- Experience with supplier engagement is a plus
- Able to propose and experimentally and/or theoretically validate innovative solutions to technical problems
- Able to convert an innovative idea into an engineering and practical solution
- Able to develop and review theoretical models and concepts
- Able to validate concepts through breadboard builds and analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explain technical issues and ideas to peers of other disciplines as well as management and customers
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) on a frequent basis.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability