30+ days ago - req28468
Materials Surface Science Researcher - Guaranteed sign on bonus and relocation
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 15, 2021.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML is seeking an experienced materials and surface science researcher with expertise in tribology and surface interactions of metals, glass, ceramics and various coatings. The candidate will work in the Research Department to answer key questions related to materials and surface science phenomena. There will be a need for experimental work based on agreed hypothesis. Modeling of observed phenomena may be required to supplement experiments and guide research directions in an ever evolving materials landscape. The main job function is to collaborate with theoretical scientists in order to validate ideas, generate knew competence and knowledge and communicate findings to developers of wafer and reticle clamps and chucks used in lithography and inspection equipment. Knowledge of electrostatic clamping principles would be a plus. In this role you will focus on characterizing, testing and modeling surface phenomena. You will need to design experiments, experimental setups, create or source test specimens and set up the test environment. Assist with the planning of the testing, and then conduct the key experiments.
The research department in Wilton collaborates with other developers and researchers both locally and those stationed at other ASML sites. Teamwork will be essential to achieve the research goals.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The main focus of this position will be:
- Understand/improve friction properties and wear behavior of materials used in the current system with appropriate testing techniques and equipment.
- Investigate and characterize material to material friction and wear mechanisms.
- Work to find new ceramic materials or material coatings that address future needs for various surfaces.
- Investigate material issues/challenges using appropriate material diagnostic tools such as SEM/EDS, AFM, WLI, friction testing, nano-indentation etc.
- Collaborate as needed with labs worldwide to do testing that cannot be done locally.
- Perform data analysis of surface characterization measurements and correlate with modeling results.
- Understand and link the performance of the process effects to the performance of ASMLs systems.
- Clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing technical activities to stakeholders.
- Support preparation of design reviews for the development team.
- Write engineering test plans as well as test reports at the completion of key work packages.
- Bachelors Degree Minimum
- BS in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or an Engineering discipline
- Minimum 2+ years experience in Material Science, Tribology, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering or relevant engineering disciplines.
- Minimum 2+ years experience using MATLAB or equivalent for data collection and analysis.
Excellent analytical and experimental skills.
- Ability to work in the clean room environment. Advanced knowledge in material to material interaction (especially glass, metals, ceramics, thin film materials, gases, etc); with deep understanding of the fundamentals of friction, lubrication and wear processes of metallic, ceramic, and polymeric materials.
- Good understandingand experience in materials characterization methods (white light interferometer, Nano-indenter, Friction tester, SEM, AFM, etc).
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability