30+ days ago - req28911
Senior optical design engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
ASML is relentlessly driving the semiconductor industry’s ongoing quest for producing faster, smarter and more energy efficient chips. We are a young, dynamic, international and highly skilled workforce creating, with strong support of our suppliers, the lithographic tools the industry needs to achieve its goals.
Are you looking for a challenge to ensure the optical performance of a state-of-the-art optical module? Then you will enjoy this position in the source laser Beam Metrology and Controls team. You will be part of the group responsible for the final metrology of the high power infrared laser beam pulses, before they hit the tin droplets.
As senior optical design engineer in the beam metrology and controls train you will be responsible for the technical aspects and optical performance of the final metrology module. You will work in a fast paced and multi-disciplinary environment as part of a team in an Agile Release Train. Your responsibility is to take ownership of the technical scope of the optical team and drive the deliverables towards completion. This includes documentation, specification, qualification & integration as well as supporting and setting direction in issue handling and supporting customer specific requests. In order to fulfill this role, you need to align with the multi-disciplinary teams in the project as well as collaborate with different competences and sectors (systems engineering, marketing and customer support) within ASML. Using your technical knowledge, analytical thinking and people skills, you will work closely together with the team and interfacing projects and sectors.
You will join a multi-disciplinary project team on technical aspects to secure the optical performance and reliability of the modules. The job consists of:
- Define the scope, architecture, user strategy, and optical requirements of optical components in the final focus metrology module based on the high level system and module requirements.
- Technically lead the optical team in the product development, define the functional architecture, create optical budgets and set direction for the various solutions in the FFM modules.
- Translating the performance requirements into innovative technical designs including lens models, optical calibrations and qualifications.
- Aligning the requirements and specifications with various sectors such as system engineering, program management, factory and customer support.
- Build a relationship and closely work together with our main development partners and suppliers.
- Contribute to troubleshoot and solving issues, escalations and customer specific requests. This involves analyzing data, connecting the results to physical phenomena such as lens heating, mirror vibrations, etc., and steer towards the proper solution directions.
MSc or PhD in engineering or physics with knowledge of optical systems.
- Experience with design and development of complex optical modules in a multi-disciplinary environment is needed.
- Experience with multi lens arrays and mathematical optimization techniques is a plus.
- Fluent in Matlab, Zemax.
- Ability to translate performance specifications into innovative technical solutions for an optical module.
- Affinity with working a multidisciplinary environment related to complex systems.
- Affinity with metrology, mechatronic, mechanical, electronic and software disciplines.
- Ability to think on a functional level and in design details.
- Excellent communicational skills.
- Ability to switch between complex matters and high-level conclusions, ability to convey these in an understandable fashion.
- Team player with ability to build network towards other parts of the ASML organization and towards suppliers.
- Self-propelling, showing initiative and drive, pragmatic attitude.
- Flexible, result driven and committed.
- Strong analytical skills and drive for quality.
Context of the position
The source laser department within Development & Engineering is responsible for the high power CO2 laser required for EUV light generation to support our high productivity EUV scanners. The group Beam Measurement and Control is responsible for the metrology and the on-target positioning and focusing of the high power CO2 laser. The engineering competences in the group consists mainly of physics, optics, mechatronics and metrology. We work closely with our suppliers to design and deliver hardware and software. The main HW consists of a metrology module and actuators to manipulate the CO2 beam.
The holder of this position is reporting to the ED DE Source Laser Optics Competence Group Leader