26 days ago - req29929
US Internship - Optics Engineering
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The internship is a 12 week program with start dates 5/16, 5/31, or 6/20. We anticipate it to be on-site Summer 2022.
Specifies, design, develops and tests optical systems.May require device-level expertise.Interacts with mechanical engineering, hardware, and software design teams to assist in overall development of the optical systems.Primary technical interface for outsourced optical design projects.Tasks include specifying, selecting and qualifying active and passive optical components, developing and benchmarking optical system performance models, developing and implementing test procedures, and evaluating and selecting appropriate test instrumentation.
- Work with Cymer DUV Optical Engineering to develop excimer beam characterization metrology. Build optical setup experimentation and characterize the beam intensity as it propagates through turbulent gas medium. Investigate beam irradiance and phase front to identify high intensity locations and areas where accelerated optics damage can occur and drive unplanned laser downtime for service.
- The key benefit to Cymer is the characterization of the DUV laser beam to assess beam intensity uniformity and identify methods to provide a homogenized beam and extend optical lifetimes and time between service of Cymer lasers and higher utilization for chipmakers.
- The student will have the opportunity to work with industry experts in excimer lasers and will be mentored throughout the internship.Specifically the intern will gain experience in excimer laser optics and laser metrology.Additionally, the intern will have the opportunity to setup, implement and document experimental optical layouts.
A junior/senior undergraduate or graduate student majoring in Optics, Physics,Chemistry or related engineering discipline
- Experience designing, specifying components for, and building experimental setups and prototype builds preferred.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving complex optical design problems.
- Knowledge of optical engineering principles preferred.
- Experience using Optical ray tracking Software (Zemax, Code 5, Oslo, etc.) preferred.
- Experience using Data Analysis Software (Matlab, Python, Origin, Igor, etc.) and Data Accusations (LabVIEW etc.) preferred.
- Experience using Mechanical Design Software (Creo/ProE, NX, CATIA, Solidworks, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to work either independently or as part of a development team.
- Self-motivation and ability to work in a fast-moving high-tech environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability