29 days ago - req29914
US Internship - Plasma Electronics Engineering
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
In the CLS division in San Diego, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
Solving these challenges requires expertise in system engineering, optics, physics, controls, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, test engineering, embedded software and firmware, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The internship is a 12 week program with start dates 5/16, 5/31, and 6/20. We anticipate it to be on-site Summer 2022.
- Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.
- Specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
- The 2022 project will involve working intimately on hands-on experiments and characterization on the critical parts in DUV plasma discharge chambers, including development of test assembly and evaluation of physical parameters which influence the part performance.
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
Current active students in PhD or MS program (PhD preferred) and will be graduating at the end of 2022 or 2023.
Preferred Major/Field of Study: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Plasma Engineering, Physics, or similar engineering disciplines.
- RF circuit design experience is required.
- Knowledge of fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
- Hands-on experience with building and setting up engineering/physics experiments
- Data acquisition software such as MATLAB, LabVIEW …etc
- Data analysis capability
- Hands-on experience with oscilloscope, network analyzer, signal generator, high voltage probes would be a plus
- Any experience with electrical circuit simulation tool such as Simulink and Micro-Cap would be a plus
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oral communicative skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of others
Context of the position
To be completed
To be completed
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability