30+ days ago - req30136
US Internship - Lithography Simulations
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Other technical job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
In the CLS division in San Diego, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The internship is a 12 week program, starting 5/16, 5/31, or 6/20. We anticipate it will be on-site Summer 2022.
- Solving these challenges requires expertise in system engineering, optics, physics, controls, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, test engineering, embedded software and firmware, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as make an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
- The student must have access to high speed internet, be available during Pacific time zone hours, meet via Microsoft Teams on a regular basis and work independently.
- Work in a team environment alongside experienced engineers virtually.
- Specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer
The Project: The internship will be over a 12 week period.The ideal candidate has python coding skills, is willing and able to learn the use of a commercial lithography simulator to simulate CD variation as function of wafer topography based on various Customer use cases and Customer wafer topography data.We will apply several potential corrections to determine the effectiveness of this solutions to determine potential improvements in CD variation.
Daily face to face discussions to maintain project focus, bi-weekly informal reports, 4th and 8th week formal report with a final report in week 12 to the greater San Diego, San Jose and Veldhoven stakeholders.
Candidate must be studying for a Master’s or Ph.D. in the fields of Lithography Science, Physics, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or related fields
- A successful candidate will have knowledge of Semiconductor processing, Lithography optics and simulation (ie: Hyperlith, Prolith) with some background in Matlab along with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oral communication skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of to influence, etc.).
- Can add preferred skills, education and/or experience, which are considered a plus when identifying top candidates
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability