28 days ago - req30450
Co-op, Integrated Optics & Photonic Circuit Design Researcher (Spring 2022)
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The main responsibility of the intern is to assist Research Engineers in the completion of a detaileddesign of an optical system. The work will focus on testing of the system including the prework to plan out tests and prepare test scripts in Matlab and/or Labview. The work might include testing of the system either in a lab environment or a full Lithography tool. Daily direction will come from the lead engineers in a dynamic environment where flexibility and thinking on ones feet will be valued. Some reporting of results will be required and the opportunity to work on alternate designs may arise as the test results are available. The intern will be working with senior Researchers and Engineers during this internship with frequent check-ins and the needed mentoring and support.
Currently enrolled in a master's or PhD program at an accredited university:
- Master or PhD,Optics or Optical Engineering
- Master or PhD,Physics
- Master or PhD,Electrical Engineering
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Experience with Matlab, Lumerical, Labview and/or KLayout
- Functional experience in a lab in Optics
- Integrated Optic Chip design experience through
- The candidate needs to be self-motivated and to work independently on specific tasks.
- The candidate must work well in a dynamic environment and be a good team player.
- The candidate must have good communication skills, especially in the area of technical writing and presenting.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.