28 days ago - req30473
Intern, Materials Science (Summer 2022)
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Chemistry & materials science
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
ASML is seeking an Material Science intern with expertise in glass & ceramic materials, micro-structuring, material characterization and process engineering. This person will join the Advanced development center in Wilton, Connecticut - A Research and development team focused on proto-typing of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems.
The main focus of this position will be:
- Investigate material issues/challenges using appropriate material diagnostic toolslike SEM , AFM , WLI etc.
- Understand/improve friction properties, roughness and wear behavior of materials used in the current system with appropriate processing, structuring and testing techniques.
- Investigate material and chemical issues in manufacturing process like bonding, gluing, coating, polishing, patterning and etching processes.
- Develop and demonstrate feasibility of new integrated process flows for prototyping of next generation wafer/reticle clamping systems.
- Solve any engineering challenges that we encounter related to chemical and material aspects of design and manufacturing process of optical and ceramic substrates to achievethe precision and life time performance at sub-nanometer scale.
- Clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing technical activities to senior management.
- Support preparation of design reviews for the development team.
Pursuing master’s or PhD degree in Material Science or related surface engineering fields.
- Strong background of course work and experimental research background in material science in particular ceramics & glasses – characterization, processing and micro-structuring.
- Excellent Knowledge of electro-optical, mechanical properties of coatings and ceramic structure.
- Deep understanding of the fundamentals of friction and wear processes of metallic, ceramic, and polymeric materials.
- Theoretical and experimentalworking understanding with various coatingdeposition equipment (e.g., Sputter, E-beam, ALD, PECVD etc.).
- Good understandingand experience in verification methods (white light interferometer, microscope, SEM, AFM , TOF-SIMS, XPS etc).
- Good knowledge of MATLAB for data collection and analysis to drive solutions.
- Ability to work in the clean room environment with knowledge in material and material interaction (especially glass, ceramics, thin film materials, gases, etc).
- Excellent experimental skills.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.