16 days ago - req30507
Intern, Optical Data Analyst (Summer 2022)
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
ASML’s Optical Modules Development Group in Wilton CT is seeking a Physicist/Engineer in a development and engineering role to support & develop complex optical/photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include light sources, detectors, optical / electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing SW, functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. Understanding the components in their relation to the sensor system and understanding the interaction with the rest of the tool is of fundamental importance.
Key component of this position are:
- General:Using generalOptics/Optical Engineering, Physics, Electronical Engineering or Mechanic knowledge and an understanding of sensor systems and tooling to de-bug new and existing sensors in complex systems (lithography equipment).
- Leadership:the candidate must have the capacity to lead engineers and technicians in executing activities for determining problem root cause, execute complex tests, gather data, and effectively communicate results to managers, customers, and technical leadership.
- Problem Solving:the candidate must have expertise at troubleshooting complex problems on complex systems, develop/debug algorithms. The candidate must have the ability to use analytical processes to develop and execute test plans to determine problem root cause.
- Communication: The candidate must have the capability to clearly communicate progress and status of ongoing investigations to managers and to customers.
- Programming: The candidate must possess the ability to implement data analysis techniques into functioning MATLAB codes. Optimization skills, GUI building experience, and familiarly with Labview and Python are a plus.
- Because of the highly interactive nature of the work this job requires on-site presence
Education and experience
- Currently enrolled in senior (December 2022 grad) or Master's year
- Bachelor or Master of Science, Optics/Optical Engineering
- Bachelor or Master of Science, Physics
- Bachelor or Master of Science, Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor or Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering
- Candidates with an emphasis in system design, implementation, integration and/or troubleshooting is required.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- A working knowledge of MatLab, data collection, and analysis is a plus.
- Strong emphasis on problem solving and effective communication.
- Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to solutions – strong critical thinking capability.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and a commitment to achieving results while under time constraints;High energy, high level of dedication.
- Be willing to jump in on new issues, get to the bottom of the causes and propose practical solutions.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and through experiments).
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Nominal travel ( ~ 10%) to Europe, Asia, and within the US can be expected on a routine basis.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.