30+ days ago - req30514
Intern, Wafer Alignment Sensor - Optics/Physics (Summer 2022)
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Role and responsibilities
ASML’s Wafer Alignment Sensor department in Wilton CT is seeking a Physicist/Optical Engineer for a summer intern position (12 weeks) to support & develop complex optical / photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include light sources, detectors, optical / electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing SW functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. Understanding the components in their relation to the sensor system and understanding the interaction with the rest of the tool is of fundamental importance.
Key component of this position are:
- General: Using general Physics, Optics, and Software knowledge and an understanding of the sensor systems and tools to de-bug functionality or performance issues in the optical alignment sensors in lithography machines.Having hands-on skills of building optical system such as imaging, testing, alignment or detector system.
- Leadership: The candidate must have the potential to lead executing activities for determining problem root cause, execute complex tests, gather data, and effectively communicate results on different levels of abstraction (from technical colleagues to high level managers).
- Problem Solving: The candidate should be interested in troubleshooting complex technical problems, develop / debug data signal processing algorithms; develop and execute test plans in order to determine problem root cause.
- Communications/Teamwork: Good communication skills during brainstorm/troubleshooting sessions; Good listening skills. Good analytical skills. Draw your own conclusions, based on the input from different stakeholders.Capability to clearly communicate the information on different level of abstraction.
- Programming: The candidate must possess the ability to implement data analysis techniques into functioning MATLAB codes. Optimization skills, GUI building experience, and familiarly with Labview and Python are a plus.
Education and experience
Currently enrolled in an accredited university as either junior, senior (December 2022 grad), master or PhD student:
- Bachelor, Master or PhD, Physics (preference for Experimental)
- Bachelor, Master or PhD, Optics
- Bachelor, Master or PhD, Engineering (with coursework in Optics)
- Optical design modeling experience
- Laser, optics and fiber optic experience through coursework, projects or activities
- MATLAB competency
- Preferred experience with FRED, CodeV, and/or Zemax
- Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.