22 days ago - req30759
GSC DUV NA Engineer - Metrology
In a nutshell
Chandler - AZ, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The Customer Support (CS) organization is responsible for the installations, qualification, repair and maintenance of the ASML systems at customer sites and is responsible for the necessary transfer of know-how to the customer. Local site Customer Support branches perform these tasks for the customer within the specific region. The Global Support Center (GSC) is responsible for providing technical support to the local Customer Support branches in order to maximize ASML tool performance.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The holder of this position reports to a Group Leader in the Global Support Center (GSC) department. The position provides remote diagnostic support for the Customer Support (CS) organization and in some cases, onsite support to resolve issues. Engineers transfer knowledge for technical subjects as well as training the field engineers on the diagnostic software apps to increase field technical capabilities. The GSC also practices proactive machine monitoring in order to reduce unexpected downtime.
The GSC is comprised of six separate competency teams that cover the whole ASML tool. Engineers are expected to collaborate with other competencies to solve issues in a team atmosphere. Below are the actions and behaviors we expect from all GSC engineers:
- Troubleshoot and diagnose complex technical tool issues on ASML’s lithographic equipment escalated by customers to the GSC technical competencies of Illumination/Projection, Flow & Temperature, Wafer Stage/Wafer Handling, Reticle Stage/Reticle Handling, Software and Metrology/Sensors.
- Create deterministic action plans for diagnostics and solutions for our customers based on data analysis.
- Ensure daily competency updates to stakeholders and management (internal & external).
- Intake passdown from GSC Europe to clearly understand actions required for the upcoming shift.
- Update written and verbal pass downs of all ongoing escalation for GSC Asia to assure 24x7 escalation support for customers without added delay.
- Share diagnostic skills and knowledge with worldwide GSC competency teams as well as customer support teams in the field thru the use of scheduled competency calls and competency workshops.
- During New Product Introduction (NPI), the engineer is expected to upskill on new features and support sites with the new platforms.
- Mentor and coach junior team members on competency knowledge and escalation process.
- Be a subject matter expert on all DUV Twinscan platforms for the assigned competency.
- Escalate to development engineering teams according to the committed escalation process and timeline.
- Proactively lead the development of continuous improvement action plans on all complex problems that have been solved.
Below are the specific skills for the six competency teams:
- The Bottom team supports wafer stage and wafer handling systems while the Top team supports reticle stage and reticle handling systems. Both teams troubleshoot system dynamics that affect scanner performance for their respective stage systems. Technical skills required for these 2 competencies are the use of Matlab to diagnose signal traces as well as various offline software tools to analyze register dump files, event logs, visual modeling tools, etc. Engineers in this competency work with servo control, mechatronics, pneumatic and thermal system control, mechanical engineering and electronics to trace signals with software tools and schematics.
- The Illumination/Projection competency troubleshoots issues with projection lens performance, illumination profiles, dose control and the illumination sources such as mercury arc lamps and excimer lasers. Diagnostic tooling for this competency rely on Matlab and various offline software tools to identify issues in the optical path. Engineers are skilled with optic principles, electronics and gas flow for light path conditioning as well as imaging/focus performance.
- Flow and Temperature (F&T) competency diagnose issues in the system power distribution, cooling water, conditioned air and system facilities like compressed air, vacuum, ultrapure water and incoming power. Defectivity analysis covers the particle defect composition, the pattern distribution and isolating the source of the defect internal or external to the scanner. The Diagnostics used in this competency are Matlab as well as macro tooling to monitor the stability of system facilities, defectivity maps from customer particle measurement tools. Engineers in this competency are strong in electrical engineering to track signals with schematics, pneumatic and thermal system control as well as conditioning systems to maintain strict temperature control of the exposure unit.
- The Metrology competency analyzes the system overlay and imaging performance of the scanner. This competency uses Matlab extensively to troubleshoot nanometer level disturbances. The metrology competency will work with the other 5 competencies to isolate hardware performance issues from these subsystems that translate into disturbances seen on customer product in the form of misalignment and focus variations. These engineers are strong in Matlab diagnostics, have the ability to edit/create Matlab scripts to further isolate causes and will understand the scanner on a holistic level in order to identify possible sources of disturbances.
- The software competency focuses on computer system hardware, operating system software, as well as network connection issues to the customers network. Software and computer hardware upgrades are also in scope. Diagnostics used are usually event log analysis and scripting to detect events causing software delays. System productivity is also in scope for the software team meaning delays in production need to be identified to determine which subsystem is causing throughput issues on the scanner. These software engineers may have degrees in electrical/electronic engineering, computer sciences and/or information technology.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Mechatronics, Engineering, Physics, Process Technology or Computer Science is required or equivalent semiconductor industry experience. Master's degree, a plus.
- 2-5+ years working experience.
- Experience with LEAN and continuous improvement processes is preferred.
- Experience with photo lithographic equipment and processes is preferred.
- Experience leading small teams, escalation management.
- MATLAB and Excel Macro software knowledge is preferred.
- Strong technical, analytical and diagnostic skills.
- Result driven to demonstrate ownership & accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements to our processes.
- Value cultural differences and ways of working at local sites around the world.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Process orientation with the ability to clearly document and share information.
- Strong customer focus, commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Demonstrate leadership behaviors during technically challenging issues.
- From GSC Engineer 1 to GSC Engineer 3, we expect an increased level of leadership capability, personal responsibility and technical ability with each promotion. The expectation is these values are already gained prior to a promotion.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Position will require travel up to 30%.
- Work in a clean room environment may be up to 15%.
- ASML Customers will require completion of security clearance screening to enter their facilities.
- Ability to work flexible shifts including nights, weekends and holidays.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.