30+ days ago - req31070
Design Engineer - Optical Sensor System (Optics/Physics)
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML’s Wafer Alignment Sensor department in Wilton CT is seeking a Design Engineer to support & develop complex optical/photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include light sources, detectors, optical/electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing SW functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. As a design engineer, you will design, develop, build and integrate optical sensor systems.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Use general Physics, Optics, Software knowledge and an understanding of the sensor systems and tools to develop optical alignment sensors in lithography machines.
- The candidate must have the potential to lead executing activities for determining problem root cause, execute complex tests, gather data, and effectively communicate results on different levels of abstraction (from technical colleagues to high level managers).
- The candidate should be interested in troubleshooting complex technical problems, develop/debug data signal processing algorithms.
- Develop and execute test plans in order to determine problem root cause.
- Draw conclusions based on the input from different stakeholders.
- Capability to clearly communicate the information on different level of abstraction.
- The candidate must possess the ability to implement data analysis techniques into functioning MATLAB codes.
Bachelor's Degree or above in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or other Engineering discipline with an emphasis on optical system performance and analysis.
- Knowledge on data processing and analysis and software tools (i.e. Matlab).
- Hands-on experience with optical system alignment such as imaging, testing, alignment or detector system.
- Strong English communication skills–both written and oral
- Have strong data analysis skills to evaluate sensor performance and troubleshooting.
- Good communication skills during brainstorm/troubleshooting sessions
- Optimization skills, GUI building experience, and familiarly with LabView and Python are a plus.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves.
- Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Working around lasers; working with ladders; working on platforms; and working around chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.