16 days ago - req31131
EUV Staff Controls System Scientist
Research & development
Other job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other job categories, Physics, Optical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
In this role, you will conduct high-quality research that helps to advance the EUV control system architecture for next generation products. You will join the research team responsible for pathfinding and innovating technologies that enable the performance of the next generation EUV product. You will interface with software teams, laser teams and plasma scientists working together to scale EUV power and stability. This team also executes full scale architecture performance demonstrations, where the controls system is a critical to the EUV source. We are looking for a controls scientist who has the capability and drive to understand and push the existing technology forward into the future.
- A controls scientist who can conduct research experiments designed to provide recommendations to product team that guide development of EUV source controls architecture.
- Development of laser to target control systems that allow for specific techniques for actuation, stabilization (both passive and active), and control in order to improve the EUV generation process.
- Leads experimental campaigns that further controls designs and identify improvements for next generation EUV sources. Can also trouble shoot existing controls system to ensure the system functions as intended.
- Provides metrology, actuation, and stabilization design guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product teams.
- Breaks down complex problems, identifies knowledge gaps and develops technical strategies and test plans.
- Identification of key scientific learning objectives and corresponding experimental design which will further the technological progress of the EUV generation process.
- Demonstration of system-wide performance targets to meet the future technology roadmap.
- Plan, develop and execute system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge from sub-module to full-system levels.
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to engineering and product development teams to guide product improvement and release of new product nodes.
- Work independently and in teams to deliver on a stated objective, whether it be the pursuit of new knowledge, the demonstration of a new capability, or the characterization of existing performance.
Education and experience
- PhD or MS degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in controls, software, plasma science engineering, photonics or equivalent fields.
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build, characterization, and troubleshooting.
- Deep understanding of control theory with educational experience.
- Deep understanding of scientific research methods and strong curiosity.
- Must be proficient to read/write software codes, C++, Python or Matlab, although writing software will not be a major part of this job. It may be necessary to dive into a related problem or to understand or test aspects of the controls system.
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences.
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and development of data analysis tools with, for instance, Matlab or Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview.
- The successful candidate will not only have excelled in their technical field, but will have demonstrated inter-personal and communications strengths.
- Practical experience with breadth of metrology techniques and system design, including laser produced plasma systems.
- High-precision optical metrology development, including associated high-speed data acquisition and integration with control system functionality.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.