30+ days ago - req31184
Senior Laser System Scientist
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
We are a part of ASML, located in beautiful San Diego. ASML provides chipmakers like Intel, Samsung, TSMC, Global Foundries and others with everything they need - hardware, software and services - to mass produce patterns on silicon, helping to increase the value and lower the cost of a semiconductor chip. Our key technology is the lithography system, which brings together high-tech hardware and advanced software to control the chip manufacturing process down to the picometer. Our vision is a world in which semiconductor technology is everywhere and helps to tackle society’s toughest challenges.
We are presenting you with a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Design, integrate and test breadboard high power infrared (1-10um) pulsed laser systems for EUV generation, as well as metrology systems for measuring the performance of these lasers under EUV operation
- Plan, develop and execute system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge on optical system design
- Provide product design guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product engineering teams
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to product development teams to guide product improvement and development
- Troubleshoot issues with laser and optical systems to identify design issues and constraints. Clearly formulate problem statements, propose and execute solutions paths to resolve system performance issues
- Proactively communicate issues and manage the solution paths. Assess and highlight risks and develop mitigation plans.
- Support the Program Manager (provide information, fill-in during absence, etc.) as required
Education and experience
- MS degree with 3+ years of relevant experience in laser physics, optics, photonics, electrical engineering or equivalent field
- PhD is highly desired
- Strong understanding of laser physics, engineering and control, with the ability to perform optical modeling of laser / optical systems
- Hands-on experience with complex breadboard laser and optical system design, alignment, and performance characterization
- Understanding of scientific research methods and strong scientific curiosity
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Practical experience with high power pulsed laser systems including laser produced plasma systems
- Hands-on experience with high power (>20kW) laser beam delivery and focusing systems
- High-precision optical metrology development, including associated high-speed data acquisition and integration with control system functionality
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and development of data analysis tools with Matlab or Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.