30+ days ago - req31134
US Internship - Source Performance - Optical Engineering
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Introduction to the job
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these challenges requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.
- Specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
- The 2021 project will be to design, qualify, and test new metrology modules required to validate various performance aspects of the EUV source.
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
Education and experience
Current active students in Engineering (at least 3rd year), must have strong opto-mechanical design skills.
- Possess strong ownership characteristics and commitment to achieving results on time
- Have strong written and oral communicative skills
- Be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills
- Have strong problem solving skills and the ability to take initiative
- Be willing to be “wrong” at times and be open to the ideas of others
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.