14 days ago - req31403
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Mechanical engineering, Optical engineering, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML is the world’s leading manufacturer of lithography systems that enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The EUV Source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Plasma Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the metrology, automation and control loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Plasma Control Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control system development and integration involving sophisticated control algorithms, real-time embedded software, high speed electronics, precision sensors, and all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
Serve as a technical expert for one or more control subsystems, capable of independent decision making for critical technical issues.
- Perform feasibility studies, support the development of product road maps, advise on future product definition and system specifications.
- Monitor integrity of system architecture during development, ensure the availability of Test Specifications, and coordinate or execute the testing process and design verification.
- Coordinate the specification of system functionalities, and design the system architecture based whilst ensuring commonality between products and subsystems across all programs, support program definition, co-ordinate decomposition and specification of sub systems, and support the review process and approval of designs in co-operation with applicable Product- and Project- Management.
- Define, plan, manage and coordinate assigned (portfolio of) projects and ensure execution and delivery, within the project management guidelines.
- Ensure and support optimal communication of specifications to all relevant parties to improve the decision processes, and prepare the introduction of approved new projects by defining all technical specifications on system level for Development & Engineering.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leads and performs integration activates including trouble shooting the control system, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs duties as assigned.
Algorithms and Controls Specific
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex algorithms involving controller design, system identification, signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for the EUV Source & other equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software and/or firmware requirements for control algorithm implementations.
- Mentors more junior level algorithm engineers through technical guidance and assistance.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluation of algorithms.Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level escalations.
Education and experience
- Possess a Bachelors Degree in Controls, Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- Higher degree is highly regarded.
- No industry experience required.
- Focus in control systems or signal analysis preferred.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Experience designing and implementing practical feedback control or optimization systems of significant complexity.
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab and Simulink.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report findings through written and/or graphical formats.
- Experience with System Identification desirable.
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable.
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable.
- Experience with embedded software systems desirable.
- Experience with FPGA desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.