You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
High Tech Java Developer
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
Introduction to the job
When people think ‘software’, they often think of companies like Google or Microsoft. Even though ASML is classified as a hardware company, we in fact have one of the world´s largest and most pioneering Java communities.
The ASML Java environment is extremely attractive for prospective Java engineers because it combines big data with extreme complexity. From Hadoop retrieval to machine learning to full stack development, the possibilities are endless. At ASML, our Java teams create and implement software designs that run in the most modern semiconductor fabs in the world, helping our customers like Samsung, Intel and TSMC make computer chips faster, smaller, and more efficient. Here, we’re always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
We are always looking for talented Java developers who know how to apply the latest Java SE or Java EE technologies, to join the teams responsible for taking process window control on a sub nanometer scale to the next level. Could this be your next job? Apply now!
Role and responsibilities
As a Java developer you will join one of our multinational Scrum teams to create state-of-the-art software solutions. Teams are composed of five to ten developers, a Scrum Master and a Product Owner. We are committed to following a (scaled) Agile way of working, with sprints and demos every two weeks, aiming for frequent releases of working software. In all teams we cooperate with internal and external experts from different knowledge domains to discover and build the best solutions possible. We use tools like Continuous Integration with GIT, Jira and Bamboo. We move fast to help our customers reach their goals, and we strive to create reliable and well-tested software; because failures in our software stack can severely impact customers' operations.
All these dedicated Java teams work in unison on different products and platforms across ASML. Here’s a brief description of what your Java team does:
- Create complex Java applications that help fine-tune the manufacturing process, helping process engineers to navigate the complexities of process set-up through excellent UX design.
- Implement and validate algorithms that give our customers the power to reach optimal results during manufacturing;
- Designing and implementing software, working on the product backlog defined by the Product Owner;
- Ensuring the quality of personal deliverables by designing and implementing automated tests on unit and integration levels with a test-driven mindset;
- Coaching team members to deliver high quality software;
- Cooperating with other teams to ensure consistent implementation of the architecture;- and agreeing on interfaces and timing of cross-team deliveries;
- Troubleshooting, analyzing, and solving integration issues both from internal alpha and beta tests as well as those reported by our customers;
- Writing or updating product documentation in accordance with company processes;
- Suggesting improvements to our technical solutions and way of working, and implementing them in alignment with your team and their stakeholders.
Java 8 and 11 (with some legacy 1.6 and 1.7), XML (JAXB), JSON (Jackson), Graal VM, Spring boot, Helidon, Apache Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, JavaFX, Git, Maven, Docker, JUnit, Mockito, Cucumber
Way of Working:
Pair Programming, Scrum, Behavioral Driven Development (BDD), Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Jira, BitBucket, Bamboo based CI pipeline
Main Stakeholders as Developer: Team members, Test Engineer, Product Owner, Functional Engineers
Education and experience
A relevant BSc or MSc in the area of IT, electronics or computer science. Experience
If you already have Java software development experience in the high-tech industry, and you are applying for a mid-level, or senior position, you need to have the following experience:
- At least 5 years of Java development experience;
- Design and development of software using object-oriented paradigm;
- Prior experience about designing and developing microservices is a plus
- Creation of automated unit and integration tests using mocks and stubs;
- Working with Continuous Integration;
- Working as a part of a Scrum team.
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Creation of web-based user interface;
- Affinity with math, data science or machine learning.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- First of all, you’re passionate about technology and are excited by the idea that your work will impact millions of end-users worldwide.
- You’re analytical, product- and quality-oriented.
- You like to investigate issues, and you’re a creative problem solver.
- You’re open open-minded, you like to discuss technical challenges, and you want to push the boundaries of technology.
- You’re an innovator and you constantly seek to improve your knowledge and your work.
- You take ownership and you support your team - you’re the backbone of your group.
- You’re client and quality oriented – you don’t settle for second-best solutions, but strive to find the best ways to acquire top results.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Keywords: software engineering, computer science, Agile, Scrum, Java, product development, object oriented
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.