30+ days ago - req31602
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
We are looking for a driven, hands-on and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer with a strong and diverse background in mechanical design to join our EUV Research and Development team. This position will be a key contributor in designing mechanical modules, parts and assemblies involving high pressure gas and liquid systems, as well as providing architecture configuration for our EUV light sources.
Leads the development of the Mechanical Design within the EUV droplet generator team to enable the existing and future functions according to the program roadmap. Assigned sub-system design project through direct technical advice, schematics/design, approvals, and collaboration with Development Engineering team.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Contributes as Mechanical domain expert to apply a broadrange of fundamental mechanical engineering knowledge including but notlimited to high pressure (kbar) gas and liquid system design andmanufacturing techniques.
- Works closely with cross-functional groups tounderstand the current product issues, develop integrated solutions anddevelop next generation systems. Engages engineers, scientists,manufacturing, and upper management to gain alignment and drive theimplementation of the Droplet Generator function.
- Capableof pulling requirements from multiple functions and multiple disciplinesto understand and balance their impacts on design constraints.
- Assists in providing a broad mechanical engineeringdesign background and performs mechanical engineering analysis (stress,fluids, vibrations, thermal), design for control and distribution of inertand hazardous gases, air and water handling for thermal management ofequipment and enclosures, large enclosure design, electrical componentpackaging, mechanical structural mounts and fixtures, design formanufacturability in low volume products, and design for configurationmanagement.
- Assists in generating module or system concepts to meetproduct requirements.
- Assists in performing detailed design and componentlayout for new or improved subsystems.
- Performs tolerance analysis at system and subsystemlevel. Tolerance Stack up Analysis.
- Performs analytical analysis for thermal and structuralcomponents and sub-modules.
- Assists in a project plan including key deliverables,timeline, and budget.
- Works with other Engineers and CAD Designers forprototype and pilot detailed design.
- Supports driving full documentation of designincluding, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Interacts closely with development engineers,scientists, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
Education and experience
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree inMechanical, Physics, or Material Science and a minimum of (7) years ofrelevant experience.
- Master’s Degree or PhD preferred.
- Proficient in NX solid modeling(or similar) and Team Center, to help lead the detailed design of complex mechanical devices.
- Requires knowledge/relevant experience in a wide rangeof thermal and stress analysis, knowledge of materials, fits andtolerances, design, manufacturing and testing of complex industrialdevices and sub-assemblies.
- Experience in designing, fabrication, and testing ofmechanical, electro-mechanical and/or opto-mechanical modules, and relatedsystem interfaces for high pressure systems.
- Experience in product development and industrialization.
- Hands on experience in mechanical design and testingcomplex components and sub-assemblies.
- Experience in solid modeling; NX and Team centerdesired.
- Experience in Finite Element Analysis, NX-Nastran/Ansysdesired.
- Experience with phased new product development processfrom concept to full release.
- Hands on experience and knowledge of machining and fabrication techniques highly desirable.
- Experience with Product Development tasks desired:bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material forprototyping, change management (ECNs/ECR/ECO).
- Knowledge/experience in Vacuum Technology preferred.
- Experience with custom vacuum process preferred.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Leading the design of a complex mechanical assembly, from initial concept through to deployment (including Design Review process), prototyping, resolving issues with functionality and with manufacturability.
- Guide development of high-level architecture as well as specific techniques to improve the EUV generation process.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Applies knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.