30+ days ago - req31808
Technical Author - Guaranteed sign on bonus and relocation
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 15, 2021.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Technical authors are responsible for creating instructions to help users understand complicated technical information easily. The material they write is typically designed to guide and assist users to install/adjust/calibrate/replace an ASML specific piece of technology, a particular gadget or to understand a specific subject.
Technical authors need enough knowledge to understand their subject thoroughly, but do not necessarily need to be technical subject matter experts. A good Technical author must always keep in mind the perspective of their readers, who may be not technically proficient, or in many cases, do not speak English as a first language.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- As a Technical Author, you'll assess the audience and the nature of the documentation, and will need to attend planning/briefing meetings, collaborate with Developers and Managers to clarify technical issues, interview subject matter experts and sales and marketing specialists, work with Translators, Manufacturing Engineers, Field Service Engineers, and Design Architects.
- You will need to use the product or service to understand the technology and applications for which documentation is being prepared in order to gather and analyze the information needs of the user.
- To present the information you'll organize information according to your user's needs and then write and edit text, prepare illustrations, and use a variety of software applications to present the highly technical information.
- It is equally important to have an ability to grasp and structure large amounts of information and anticipate the user’s knowledge gaps. You should have excellent planning and organizational skills.
- You have to keep yourself up-to-date with developments and trends internal to the ASML industry and also keep up with a constantly evolving Standard. You will attend training courses to stay up to date with the new technology and programs available to ASML.
The goal of a Technical author is to create instructions to assemble or replace or use a highly complicated piece of machinery. A large part of the job will be spent in researching and gathering the information required to present in a manner that can be easily understood by the Field Service Engineer.
Daily tasks may include:
- Meeting colleagues to discuss technology and authoring requirements.
- Deciding how best to organize and present the document.
- Commissioning any photographs or illustrations required.
- Writing the material clearly and concisely, making sure it can be easily understood.
- Editing, proofreading, and getting safety approval from safety officers.
- Testing the written material with users.
Education and experience
Bachelor’s degree in science, language, engineering, technologyor5 plus years of relevant work experience in lieu of a degree.
- Practical writing experience such as with user guides or user manuals either for companies or as a part of work experience or writing created for use in a portfolios or could other writing assignments that show ability to communicate with a reader.
- Fluency in written English with experience in S.T.E. (Simplified Technical English).
- Experience that shows skills in related areas such as science and technology is also useful.
- Experience with Content Management System (ex. SDL Tridion).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is a must and prior experience with xml editors (Arbortext, Oxygen) is definitely a plus.
- Experience with illustration editor software (ex. Siemens Teamcenter Visualization, photoshop).
- Working knowledge of computers and other communication tools.
- Communication skills. Technical author must be able to gather the complex, technical information from the Subject Matter Experts and translate it for users who do not have the technical background.
- Detail oriented. Technical author creates detailed instructions for others to follow. They must be detailed and precise at every step so that the instructions can be useful.
- Imagination. Technical author must be able to think about a procedure or product in the way that a person without technical experience would think about it.
- Teamwork. Technical author must be able to work well with others. They are almost always part of a team. They collaborate with other team members, authors, and Subject Matter Experts.
- Technical skills. Technical author must be able to understand and then explain the highly technical information in a simple way.
- Writing skills. Technical author must have an excellent command over the language to be able to explain the technical information clearly.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work in a fast-paced office environment, including working in a standing or seated position for long periods sometimes exceeding 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Commute to ASML’s facility and report to work on a regular and timely basis and complete the scheduled workday on a consistent basis.
- Perform office tasks using simple hand grasping, fine hand manipulation and reach associated with assigned tasks such as paperwork, computer keyboarding (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint), filing, calculating, and use of telephone or other handheld electronic devices, continuously sometimes exceeding 8 hours per day, five days per week.
- Have a sufficient ability to communicate, through sight, hearing, and/or otherwise, to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
Additional Responsibilities (as needed in the cleanroom and/or labs):
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves.
- Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Working around lasers; working with ladders; working on platforms; and working around chemicals.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.