30+ days ago - req32209
Principal Controls Architect/Engineer - EUV Source
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Mechatronics, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Controls Architect to join our EUV source team in San Diego, Ca. This role operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Plasma Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the control systems for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Principal Controls Architect who will be engaged in all phases of the control system development and integration involving sophisticated control algorithms, real-time embedded software/firmware, high speed electronics, precision sensors, and all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable and high-power EUV light.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a technical lead for multiple control subsystems, capable of leading complex technical decision making for major development activities.
- Perform feasibility studies, lead the development of control function road maps, advise on future product definition and system specifications.
- Ensure integrity of system architecture during development.
- Coordinate the specification of system functionalities, and design the system architecture whilst ensuring commonality between products and subsystems. Support product definition, co-ordinate decomposition and specification of sub systems, and support the review process and approval of designs in co-operation with applicable Product- and Project- Management.
- Regular presentation to executive level stakeholders on high level technical roadmap as well as deep dive on specific technical topics.
- Define, plan, manage and coordinate assigned (portfolio of) projects and ensure execution and delivery, within the project management guidelines.
- Ensure and support optimal communication of specifications to all relevant parties to improve the decision processes, and prepare the introduction of approved new projects by defining all technical specifications on system level for Development / Engineering.
- Leads and mentors junior controls engineers and architects.
- Organize, coordinate, optimize, lead, coach, develop and appraise employees within the person's expertise / team.
- Applies broad knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leads and performs integration activates including trouble shooting complex control system, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Algorithms and Controls Specific:
- Works from broadly defined systems specifications to determine appropriate top-down automation, control system and algorithm architecture.
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex algorithms involving controller design, system identification, signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for lasers & other equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software and/or firmware requirements for control algorithm implementations.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluation of algorithms.Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level escalations.
- Provides requirements and design specifications for automation logic and system state management.
- Travels to customer sites to lead/support new product introduction, upgrades, and troubleshooting of systems.
Education and experience
- Ideal candidate usually possesses post-graduate degree in Controls, Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- 10+ years of relevant Industry Experience preferred.
- Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job..
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Experience with high-tech industry developing complex industrial products and solutions e.g semiconductor capital equipment, aerospace, automotive, process industries, telecommunications, etc is desired.
- Experience of leading multiple successfully completed projects highly desirable.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Experience designing and implementing practical feedback control or optimization systems of significant complexity.
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Matlab and Simulink.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report findings through written and/or graphical formats.
- Project Engineering experience including leading technical teams.
- Experience with System Identification desirable.
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable.
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable.
- Experience with embedded software systems desirable.
- Experience with FPGA desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.