14 days ago - req32330
Applications Engineer - TSMC
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Chandler - AZ, US
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The future is bright... and dynamic. Are you up for the challenge to be the one of the 4 Apps pilot engineers towards the first US-based advanced-node TSMC HVM fab in Arizona? This high-profile job enables an accelerated career with ASML in a key growth site for the coming years. Looking for an engineer already familiar with or willing and capable to quickly obtain a versatile mix of Overlay, Imaging, Defectivity, and Productivity competences on state of the arts lithography scanners and metrology systems to join us and make this new fab successful. You will be part of the pilot application team focusing one of the EUV/DUV/APP-YieldStar platform. You will work seamlessly with your Apps engineering colleagues on other platforms, mentored and led by lead application engineer and headed by the on-site Apps Manager. In close collaboration with the equipment team, you will drive the site’s success. You play a crucial role in the setup of a new site and the node transfer from Taiwan to Arizona. Having a proactive and entrepreneurial mindset during the early engagement phase will make you, ASML, and our customer successful. The holder of this position will be based in ASML Phoenix (AZ, USA), reporting directly to US Applications manager TSMC.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Applications Engineering–Creating Tomorrow’s Value: We proactively enable business development and drive customer adoption of a tailored portfolio of sustainable ASML solutions by applying our industry product and process knowledge in a collaborative learning environment. Our customers are moving further in holistic lithography, increasing the footprint for application scanner, metrology, and control solutions.
You are relentless in driving the success of the ASML applications component during customer’s node transition and setup of high volume manufacturing in US. Initially, the focus will be on performance proof of new systems of your main platform, establishing cross-platform node performance, as well as support to the transfer of the matured node from the HVM Taiwan location. Quickly, this will shift to an HVM operation where focus is on ensuring that the customer can keep running their process node at high output levels, and delivering continued year-over-year improvements thru joint taskforces. Driven by a determination to never give up, you’ll troubleshoot lithography issues potentially related to ASMLs product portfolio, and systems on your main platform in particular. You identify and drive these improvement projects pro-actively based on your technical intimate relation with your customer counterpart.
You collaborate seamlessly as a One Team with the local equipment engineers, business line stakeholders, senior staff and account team, as well as counterparts at ASML Taiwan and, of course, customer stakeholders. This is a position that will require strong ownership, care for quality, a strong customer intimacy and communication, and the ability to bring different segments together at ASML and our customer. You are expected to be an independent and capable technical generalist across multiple platform and competencies while establishing your technical expertise in one or more specialty. You will work closely with lead application engineer and collaborate with applications peers in the region and across the globe to develop and implement best practices with your colleagues, and strive for effectiveness and efficiency with a growth mentality geared towards scalability of future operation. You have a proactive and entrepreneurial mindset during the early engagement phase.
You are able to represent ASML as a technical expert in the field and get recognition of this by the customer. Since you will be working intimately with customers and sensitive customer data, a high level of integrity is required for securing confidentiality, while at the same time being able to translate customer issues into problem statements for ASML. Due to the scope and impact of this role, it offers you the opportunity to grow further in technical expertise roles, or project or management leadership roles.
- Play an important role in the setup of a new site and the node transfer from Taiwan to Arizona, content will be dynamic.
- Participate and/or co-lead projects aligned with lead application engineer aimed at new systems introduction and supporting the HVM2HVM node transition.
- Own workstreams within a larger project; develop and drive autonomously a project plan and chase a successful execution with regular updates to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Support troubleshooting and escalation process for customer on-product issues on ongoing basis.
- Translate a customer on-product issue into a potential lithography or metrology related problem statement, resolve these issues to help them maximize the performance and use of ASML products.
- Define and join customers’ (on-product) experiments and data analysis to ensure that they are performed in an efficient manner for accuracy and demonstrate ASMLs product value.
- Meet with internal and external customers to maintain two-way level of commitment to keep all involved and affected parties informed of progress.
- Prepare technical presentations for customer meetings, provide new user support, and assists sales.
- Define and drive customer requirements for existing or evaluation products based on technical intimacy with the customer.
- Give strategic guidance to junior engineers; closely collaborate with project leads and equipment peers.
Education and experience
- MSc in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanics, Mathematics or a similar engineering degree, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years’ experience preferred in an IC manufacturing environment with a technical background on lithography and/or on-product metrology, of which a minimum of 2 years in scanner, high-end DUV or EUV preferred.
- Experience in a commercial environment, university, or institute research group working on semiconductor technology.
- Experience in customer contact/customer service role, preferably in product ramp or high volume manufacturing.
- Proven track record in technical workstream/project management.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills, Mandarin preferred as additional language.
- Must have strong organizational, communication, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Detailed oriented individuals with strong critical thinking, problem solving and follow-up skills.
- Fast learner with strong self-motivation to grow technically; be able to perform job at high standard with minimum supervision, and demonstrated flexibility and ability to thrive in a high pressure and fast paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and organize actions effectively and efficiently.
- Self-starter that shows high drive, creativity, ambition and accountability.
- Hands-on experience in data analysis and coding using software like JMP, Matlab, Python, R to develop scripts for data analysis to lead projects during early engagement phase.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Our employees are curious, driven, open to new ways of thinking and creative problem solvers. As an Apps Engineer, you are strongly demonstrating the 3 core cultural values of Challenge, Collaborate, and Care; you drive your own and ASML’s success.
- Challenge the status quo to strive for improvements that adds value.
- Thinking critically and creatively about the situation in order to take calculated risk.
- Encouraging open communication and asking questions to understand different views and get to the heart of the issue.
- Understanding how actions affect the cost and quality of the end products.
- Standardizing and simplifying to add value.
- Challenge on-site-fits all solutions with data and proposals.
- Aligning goals and making expectation clear to others.
- Celebrating success and the contributions of others.
- Partnering with the members in our ecosystem to adapt quickly to their needs and industry insights.
- Asking for, accepting and providing feedback to drive development.
- Learning from each other to avoid repeating mistakes.
- Seeking collaboration across the entire value chain and matrix organization.
- Partner with the customer and build win/win.
- Creating clarity on our goals, targets, roles and responsibilities.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for our decisions and keeping our promises.
- Making an effort to understand stakeholders and what matters to them.
- Providing a safe environment for all stakeholders.
- Respecting each other and embracing diversity.
- Caring for our environment and avoiding waste.
- Recognizing the importance of our own mental and physical well-being and that of others.
- Run your segment and teams as if it is your business (‘cause it is).
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Customer site requires ASML employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19, barring an approved medical or religious exemption.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Requires initial travel to Taiwan and additional travel dependent on company needs up-to 30%.
- May require rotational swing shift work schedule for off-hour and/or weekend on-call support.
- Willing to comply with customer-specific COVID-related regulation and measures.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.