You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - req32423
EUV Staff Systems Scientist
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have a unique and exciting opportunity for a EUV Staff Systems Scientist to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. The EUV source technology development team is responsible for identifying system-level operating points for stable EUV production from laser produced plasmas and helps to chart the path to higher average EUV powers to meet the future needs of the EUV roadmap. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Guide development of high-level architecture as well as specific techniques for metrology, actuation, stabilization (both passive and active), and control in order to improve the EUV generation process.
- Identification of key scientific learning objectives and corresponding experimental design which will further the technological progress of the EUV generation process.
- Provide metrology, actuation, and stabilization design guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product teams.
- Demonstration of system-wide performance targets to meet the future technology roadmap.
- Plan, develop and execute system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge from sub-module to full-system levels.
- Troubleshoot issues with laser, tin delivery, and optical systems, as well as their interplay, in order to improve the EUV generation process.
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to engineering and product development teams to guide product improvement and release of new product nodes.
- Work independently and in teams to deliver on a stated objective, whether it be the pursuit of new knowledge, the demonstration of a new capability, or the characterization of existing performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- PhD or MS degree with relevant experience in physics, plasma engineering, photonics or equivalent field.
- Deep understanding of scientific research methods and strong curiosity.
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build, characterization, and troubleshooting.
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and development of data analysis tools with, for instance, Matlab or Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview.
- Practical experience with breadth of metrology techniques and system design, including high energy density plasma systems, such as laser or discharge produced plasmas.
- High-precision optical metrology development, including associated high-speed data acquisition and integration with control system functionality.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- The successful candidate will not only have excelled in their technical field, but will have demonstrated inter-personal and communications strengths.
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.