15 days ago - req32974
Senior Metrology/Optics Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Optical engineering, Mechatronics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA (EUV laser source creation).
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The Senior Metrology/Optical Engineer will be responsible for the development of one or more subsystems that measure and control the production of light in the extreme ultraviolet (EUV) source for next generation photolithography tools. These metrology systems use a variety of optical and electronic measurement techniques to accomplish their function. The engineer will be responsible for creating specifications for the metrology performance, defining architectures that meet those specifications and analyzing the solutions to predict performance. Engineering tasks will include design, development, testing, troubleshooting, and productization of the metrology subsystem(s). In addition, the engineer will provide technical leadership to the project, our suppliers, as well as supporting our customers’ technical needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for metrology definition and engineering design of one or more subsystems.
- Leads the development and integration of innovative metrology system solutions to enable stable and efficient production of EUV for both research and product development.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to metrology design and validation.
- Develops specifications for optical and opto-mechanical modules in accordance with system requirements and cross-functional requirements.
- Applies broad knowledge in optics, sensors, electronics, algorithms, software, and data analysis tools to drive metrology system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Leads and performs integration activities including troubleshooting the control system, developing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Leads the design and building of tools that allow debugging, analysis, and performance evaluation of metrology system performance. Leads the root cause analysis for metrology system failures in products for integration and fielded units during escalations.
- Works with a cross-functional team to support the development, manufacturing, and integration of innovative core technologies into engineering solutions.
- Communicates status reports and issues across various functional disciplines.
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- 0 years’ experience with a PhD.
- 2+ years’ experience with a Master’s degree.
- 4+ years’ experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Ideal candidate usually possesses degree in optics, photonics, physics, biomedical engineering (with imaging focus), or imaging sciences.
- Experience with semiconductor capital equipment industry is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with optical alignment processes and tools, laser systems, and building signal detection and processing systems is required.
- Experience with data analysis and visualization using advanced data analysis tools (e.g. MATLAB, Python) is required.
- Experience with modeling optical and opto-mechanical systems using optical design and analysis software (e.g. Zemax) highly desirable.
- Experience with mechanical design software e.g. NX is a plus.
- Experience with advanced data acquisition and analysis tools (e.g. LabView) is a plus.
- Experience with supplier engagement is a plus.
- Able to propose and experimentally and/or theoretically validate innovative solutions to technical problems.
- Able to convert an innovative idea into an engineering and practical solution.
- Able to develop and review theoretical models and concepts.
- Able to validate concepts through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explain technical issues and ideas to peers of other disciplines as well as management and customers.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Goals generally communicated in project "objectives" terms. Work is independent and collaborative in nature. Provides regular updates to manager on project/account status.
Solid theoretical and experimental background in some or all of:
- Optical design and analysis on imaging systems.
- Sensors and/or detectors, especially camera systems.
- Laser optics.
- Image and Signal Processing.
- High speed electronics.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.