Click 'Deny cookies' to personalize your cookie settings, or click 'Accept' to allow all our cookies. You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
8 days ago - req33901
Computer | Data Science Internship: Analyse performance issues in ASML machines
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
No experience (Student)
Computer science & software engineering, Data science, Electrical engineering
Are you are a master student with an educational background in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Data Science? Do you have knowledge of one among R, Python or MATLAB? Then this internship could be interesting for you!
ASML has thousands of lithography machines operating 24/7 at chip factories throughout the world. Due to their extreme accuracy, problems with lithography machines occur quite regularly. Downtime in a high-end chip factory is extremely costly: nominal costs for customers can be $20 per second of unscheduled downtime.
Analyzing the event log produced by our machines during a machine down to understand what has happened and what needs to fixed can be a time consuming and knowledge intensive task. The ambition is to develop an automated tool that by analyzing known failures, can isolate the failure mode fingerprint in the event log, so that the next occurrence of the same failure mode can be quickly and automatically identified. The challenge lays in the small size of the sample available for determining the failure mode fingerprint, typically around 10 cases, while conventional machine learning approaches rely on more numerous samples.
Starting from already proven technologies, you will be expected to:
- Investigate ways of analyzing the events produced and logged during a machine down, so that the failures can be identified and classified based on their unique fingerprint (symptoms). This will happen using training sets based on a small number of cases;
- Considering known failures and their associated solutions, Identify the ways that a new failure can occur with the same solution from their event log, among the hundreds of possible failures;
- Suggest unique fingerprints for that failure mode. Your model analyzes the event log of failures with same solutions;
- Prepare actual working examples of the techniques/ideas/approaches discussed. Ideally your approach will work with highly unbalanced datasets.
- You are a master student with an educational background in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Data Science;
- You are looking to do your graduation project or want to gain work experience;
- You have good communication and analytical skills;
- You can deal well with uncertainty and have hands-on attitude;
- You are experienced with data analytics, in particular with machine learning;
- You have knowledge of one among R, Python or MATLAB;
- You are proactive and self-driven with your work;
- You have a good knowledge of English, both written and spoken;
- You are available to do a full-time internship with a minimum duration of 6 months.
Please note that we can only consider students who are enrolled at a school for the entire duration of the internship.
Change the world – one nanometer at a time
Become an intern at a Dutch company that’s a global industry leader. You’ll gain valuable experience in a highly innovative environment – one that sparks your imagination and creativity. In addition to a monthly internship allowance of maximum €500 (plus a possible housing or travel allowance), you’ll get practical guidance from experts in the field and the chance to work in and experience a dynamic team environment.
ASML: be part of progress
ASML is a high-tech company headquartered in the Netherlands. We manufacture the complex lithography machines that chipmakers use to produce integrated circuits, or computer chips. What we do is at the heart of all the electronic devices that keep us informed, entertained and connected. Every day, you use electronics that simply wouldn’t exist without our machines.
Behind ASML’s innovations are engineers who think ahead. The people who work at our company include some of the most creative minds in physics, electrical engineering, mathematics, chemistry, mechatronics, optics, mechanical engineering, and computer science and software engineering.
We believe we can always do better. We believe the winning idea can come from anyone. We love what we do – not because it’s easy, but because it’s hard.
Students: getting ready for real-world R&D
We’re a global team of about 29,000 people of 120 different nationalities and counting. Headquartered in Europe’s top tech hub, the Brainport Eindhoven region in the Netherlands, our operations are spread across Europe, Asia and the US.
In such an environment, your colleagues may be sitting next door, or they could be thousands of kilometers away in a different country – or even working for a different company.
An internship at ASML is the opportunity to get to know not only the world of industrial-strength R&D, but yourself – you’ll discover just what excites you most. Will you design a part of the machine, or make sure it gets built to the tightest possible specifications? Will you write software that drives the system to its best performance, or work side-by-side with the engineers of our customers in a fab, optimizing a system to the requirements of the customer?
How will you be part of progress?