Click 'Deny cookies' to personalize your cookie settings, or click 'Accept' to allow all our cookies. You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
22 days ago - req34069
Defectivity Materials Engineer
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
As a Design Engineer in the Defectivity group you will support hardware projects in meeting defectivity performance requirements. You will ensure that future hardware designs meet defectivity specifications in throughout the design and build phase.You will support resolution of particle contamination issues through materials analysis, root cause analysis, containment, and structural solving, that take lithography performance to the next level. You will write high quality test plans and reports following the ASML way of working.Your expertise contributes to the knowledge growth of our group.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Strong background in one or more areas of interest to the Defectivity Project:
-Materials science and engineering/nanotechnology background.
-Tribology, wear resistance of coatings and materials.
-Plasma physics, electrostatics and materials compatibility.
-Small particle behavior in gas flows and high vacuum.
-Chemistry of surfaces and vacuum grade cleanliness.
- Take direction from ASML System Architects and Senior Engineering mentors who are leading the development effort of critical large capital equipment.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as robotics, mechatronics, or optical systems preferred but not required.
- Be an advocate on behalf of reducing particulate contamination in hardware designs.
Education and experience
- BS (required), MS/PhD (preferred) in Materials Science, Tribology, Surface Science, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or related, with a focus on material behavior or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in systems design or advanced degree.
- Solid theoretical and practical experience with precision machined parts, optics, or mechatronics, ideally in the semiconductor industry preferred but not required.
- Experience with measurement tools and setting up experiments.
- Experience with instrumentation and interpretation used to study nano-scale particles, such as SEM, EDX, AES, SIMS, AFM, optical/confocal microscopy.
- Basic experience with material behavior predictive modeling and methods, including “first principles” engineering equations and other techniques.
- Strong skills in proof of concept development and design of experiments for a wide range of project needs.
- Demonstrated ability to derive conclusions from analysis and to make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills, including the ability to present results based on strong statistical evidence to audiences of a wide range of technical abilities.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- A challenging opportunity to expand your knowledge in a wide variety of engineering application areas and to work on problems spanning all technical fields.
- Highly creative and qualified teams with a diversity of experience.
- Great career opportunities at a quickly growing high-tech company.
- World class technical problems to solve.
Role within Office
Essential Job Functions
The essential job functions for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Work in a fast-paced office environment, including working in a standing or seated position for long periods of up to 12 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Commute to ASML’s facility and report to work on a regular and timely basis and complete the scheduled workday on a consistent basis.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Perform office tasks using simple hand grasping, fine hand manipulation and reach associated with assigned tasks such as paperwork, computer keyboarding (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint), filing, calculating, and use of telephone or other handheld electronic devices, continuously for up to 10 hours per day, five days per week.
- Have a sufficient ability to communicate, through sight, hearing, and/or otherwise, to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel (specify domestic and/or international) dependent on business needs – specify percentage of travel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Perform other functions that may be assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves.
- Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Working around lasers; working with ladders; working on platforms; and working around chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.